Aqua Rite Cable Replacement?

Duk

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2007
Katy, TX.
My 6 month old Boykin Spaniel (Gator, living up to his name) decided to make a chew toy out of the the cable between the controller and cell today :shock: Is this cable consumer replaceable? If so, how hard is it to do and where can I get a new cable? I did not see it on the Hayward site.
Thanks,
Larry

Larry

The cable is molded into the cell and to the connector for a watertight seal with better resistance to corrosion. :cry:

When you replace the cell, use zip-ties to secure the cable to the plumbing so that it does not dangle. Secure the cable to the flow switch also.

Fortunately for Gator, it was low voltage. Had this been 115 or 230v AC it could have been very dangerous. For his safety you should consider a small fence enclosure around the pool equipment. Check Home Depot, Lowes or Petsmart for a small box kennel.

How long can you stay mad at a cute little Boykin? :rant:

You are correct, it's very hard to stay upset with them. :-D Ya gotta love 'em. But when they're teething, they can make a log cabin into a mulch pile :lol: I have a new fence panel going in to minimize this in the future.
After looking at it closer, I figured out the T-cell was going to have to be replaced, so we went to our local Pool Warehouse, donated $500 in Gator's name to help boost the local economy and picked up a new T-cell assy. I was hoping I was wrong or missing something, No such luck today. Thanks for responding and have a great Thanksgiving!
Larry

Larry, if it's not too late, hold onto that old cell!

I'm not sure if the wires can be spliced back to 'workability' but having a 'blank' cell on hand may well be useful in the future :cool: As long as the 2 ends of the 15' cord are in good shape, splicing could very well be an option.

You read my mind Mr. Ted. :goodjob:
Yes, I kept the old cell with the idea I might be able to splice the cable back together. The cell end is short, maybe 4-5 inches, so it will be a little tight to be be able to stagger the splices and cover with heat shrink. I'm going to give it a go and see what we have. I have not installed the new cell yet, just chlorinating with bleach for the next few days until I get the chance to work on it when I get back from hunting this weekend.
Thanks for the thought,
Larry

Duk said:
You read my mind Mr. Ted. :goodjob:
Yes, I kept the old cell with the idea I might be able to splice the cable back together. The cell end is short, maybe 4-5 inches, so it will be a little tight to be be able to stagger the splices and cover with heat shrink. I'm going to give it a go and see what we have. I have not installed the new cell yet, just chlorinating with bleach for the next few days until I get the chance to work on it when I get back from hunting this weekend.
Thanks for the thought,
Larry
Keep in mind that the cable carries very high DC amperage, so your connections need to be made well. Soldering is a must, and watch for heat around the joint after you hook it back up. It is very doable, just bear that in mind.

I just installed a brand new cell for a customer about 6-8 weeks ago - then they decided to turn the side of their house that had the pool equipment in it into a kennel for their German Shepherds... needless to say, I went back there two weeks ago and found 6' of the middle of the cable of the cell (same with the flow switch) on the ground. I called Goldline and they said the cable could not be replaced (I knew this, but promised the customer I would ask). When I was there on Thursday, the husband had respliced everything back together with small waterproof splices, and everything was working....

I ran into a small problem while getting ready to splice the cable. There are two black and two white wires, same gauge and everything. How am I supposed to tell them apart from one another or does it matter? :hammer:
Thanks,
Larry

If the cable was just cut it wouldn't be too hard to tell but with a chewed cable that's another story. I don't know, but it probably doesn't matter in relation to which is which as long as you match the colors. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm having a very similar problem to the original problem posted above. I came home yesterday to find that our dog had chewed on the power cord to our 1 year old Hayward Goldline GLX-Cell-15 SWG. Before my wife was able to stop her she had already seperated a couple of the many wires in the cord. When I checked the control box it showed a "no flow" error and said the chlorinator was turned off. Therefore I went ahead and cut and removed about a foot of the chewed cord and spliced it (pull off the plastic sheathing and connected the wires with wire nuts). However when I finished I'm still seeing the same errors and the SWG does not come on. After looking through some similar threads it sounds like different people have had some success splicing wires so my question is 1- is it possible to resplice the wires and 2- is ther a different way to splice them that might lead to more success? thanks.

I soldered the wires to repair the cable. I did have to trial and error with the 2 black and white wires connections to get the system to work. I was lucky that the mother board was not shorted. And thankfully, Gator grew out out of this phase. Now he's the pool "Gator"..... Good Luck! :cheers:
Larry

Thanks for the assistance on this.

What is the easiest way to tell if the motherboard was shorted? This may be a real dumb question but if the motherboard was shorted than the only way to remedy that is to replace the board?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.