Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Rite Cable Replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Rite Cable Replacement?

My 6 month old Boykin Spaniel (Gator, living up to his name) decided to make a chew toy out of the the cable between the controller and cell today Is this cable consumer replaceable? If so, how hard is it to do and where can I get a new cable? I did not see it on the Hayward site.
    Thanks,
    Larry
    21,500 gal. IGP, Diamond Kote plaster, spa, and waterfall features, flagstone coping w/ flagstone/river pebble decking. Pentair NSFP 60 filter, 2-ea. 2 HP Whisper Flow pumps, 1-ea. 3/4 HP Hayward booster pump for Polaris 3900 cleaner, AquaLink RS6 controls, GoldLine SWG, T-15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Rite Cable Replacement?

I've been looking at the cable again and it appears that a person might have to replace the T-cell in order to replace the cable. Is this correct?
    Thanks,
    Larry
    21,500 gal. IGP, Diamond Kote plaster, spa, and waterfall features, flagstone coping w/ flagstone/river pebble decking. Pentair NSFP 60 filter, 2-ea. 2 HP Whisper Flow pumps, 1-ea. 3/4 HP Hayward booster pump for Polaris 3900 cleaner, AquaLink RS6 controls, GoldLine SWG, T-15 cell

3. Back To Top    #3

Larry

The cable is molded into the cell and to the connector for a watertight seal with better resistance to corrosion.

When you replace the cell, use zip-ties to secure the cable to the plumbing so that it does not dangle. Secure the cable to the flow switch also.

Fortunately for Gator, it was low voltage. Had this been 115 or 230v AC it could have been very dangerous. For his safety you should consider a small fence enclosure around the pool equipment. Check Home Depot, Lowes or Petsmart for a small box kennel.

How long can you stay mad at a cute little Boykin?
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are correct, it's very hard to stay upset with them. Ya gotta love 'em. But when they're teething, they can make a log cabin into a mulch pile I have a new fence panel going in to minimize this in the future.
    After looking at it closer, I figured out the T-cell was going to have to be replaced, so we went to our local Pool Warehouse, donated $500 in Gator's name to help boost the local economy and picked up a new T-cell assy. I was hoping I was wrong or missing something, No such luck today. Thanks for responding and have a great Thanksgiving!
    Larry

5. Back To Top    #5

Larry, if it's not too late, hold onto that old cell!

I'm not sure if the wires can be spliced back to 'workability' but having a 'blank' cell on hand may well be useful in the future As long as the 2 ends of the 15' cord are in good shape, splicing could very well be an option.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

You read my mind Mr. Ted.
    Yes, I kept the old cell with the idea I might be able to splice the cable back together. The cell end is short, maybe 4-5 inches, so it will be a little tight to be be able to stagger the splices and cover with heat shrink. I'm going to give it a go and see what we have. I have not installed the new cell yet, just chlorinating with bleach for the next few days until I get the chance to work on it when I get back from hunting this weekend.
    Thanks for the thought,
    Larry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Duk
    You read my mind Mr. Ted.
    Yes, I kept the old cell with the idea I might be able to splice the cable back together. The cell end is short, maybe 4-5 inches, so it will be a little tight to be be able to stagger the splices and cover with heat shrink. I'm going to give it a go and see what we have. I have not installed the new cell yet, just chlorinating with bleach for the next few days until I get the chance to work on it when I get back from hunting this weekend.
    Thanks for the thought,
    Larry
    Keep in mind that the cable carries very high DC amperage, so your connections need to be made well. Soldering is a must, and watch for heat around the joint after you hook it back up. It is very doable, just bear that in mind.
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just installed a brand new cell for a customer about 6-8 weeks ago - then they decided to turn the side of their house that had the pool equipment in it into a kennel for their German Shepherds... needless to say, I went back there two weeks ago and found 6' of the middle of the cable of the cell (same with the flow switch) on the ground. I called Goldline and they said the cable could not be replaced (I knew this, but promised the customer I would ask). When I was there on Thursday, the husband had respliced everything back together with small waterproof splices, and everything was working....
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

9. Back To Top    #9

I ran into a small problem while getting ready to splice the cable. There are two black and two white wires, same gauge and everything. How am I supposed to tell them apart from one another or does it matter?
    Thanks,
    Larry

10. Back To Top    #10

If the cable was just cut it wouldn't be too hard to tell but with a chewed cable that's another story. I don't know, but it probably doesn't matter in relation to which is which as long as you match the colors. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm having a very similar problem to the original problem posted above. I came home yesterday to find that our dog had chewed on the power cord to our 1 year old Hayward Goldline GLX-Cell-15 SWG. Before my wife was able to stop her she had already seperated a couple of the many wires in the cord. When I checked the control box it showed a "no flow" error and said the chlorinator was turned off. Therefore I went ahead and cut and removed about a foot of the chewed cord and spliced it (pull off the plastic sheathing and connected the wires with wire nuts). However when I finished I'm still seeing the same errors and the SWG does not come on. After looking through some similar threads it sounds like different people have had some success splicing wires so my question is 1- is it possible to resplice the wires and 2- is ther a different way to splice them that might lead to more success? thanks.

12. Back To Top    #12

It's possible to splice the wires but if he shorted the board out then splicing the wires won't fix that. You may have luck replacing the mov like is explained in another topic.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I soldered the wires to repair the cable. I did have to trial and error with the 2 black and white wires connections to get the system to work. I was lucky that the mother board was not shorted. And thankfully, Gator grew out out of this phase. Now he's the pool "Gator"..... Good Luck!
    Larry

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the assistance on this.

What is the easiest way to tell if the motherboard was shorted? This may be a real dumb question but if the motherboard was shorted than the only way to remedy that is to replace the board?

15. Back To Top    #15

Maybe not. There's a surge protector on the board. I'd check that first. There's a thread about it. Search for aqua-rite not generating and you should find about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator