skimmer corrosion

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
I have bullnose brick supported by a metal plate over the skimmer entrances.

The pool is about 25yrs old, converted to salt maybe 5yrs ago (I've been here 1 yr). 3500ppm

The metal plates are severly corroded, staining the tile, big rust chunks fall off from time to time.

My worries are:
1) structural - will this make the bricks less strong? it would sure be sucky if they broke when someone stepped over the skimmer
2) water chem - this must be putting some metal in the pool
3) cosmetic
Should I worry about it, and if so, what should I do?
Sorry for the lousy pictures, best I could do without dunking the damera ;)

kdk_4238.jpg

kdk_4241.jpg

That is the "old school" way of doing this, and I would take it out and fix it before it gets too much worse (it's not critical, mind you; you don't have to get it done this afternoon yet!). Remove the bricks (carefully) that are supported by the steel until you can get the steel out completely (it will obviously go past the skimmer a few bricks or so). Be careful as you can damage the tile, and you do not want to do that. You should be able to find the same bricks with holes running through them, and you can put rebar or stainless rods in to hold it (I would pack sand in the skimmer throat to support the bricks while you work also). Put the new bricks in, re-grout and you are good to go!

See if you can get a guy that is "versed" in this work but can do it "on the side". This is a small job, and most guys have a "minimum" charge to send out a guy/crew. It's not worth it to you for what they would have to charge to cover the minimum, and it isn't worth it to them for such a small job. If it were me you were asking to do the work, I would just send you one of my guys and have you and him work it out. That way everyone wins :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.