Chlorine generator says Clean Cell or Add more Salt

hosha

Nov 15, 2010
Hi Guys,
I have to admit that we are new with pools!! We are living in this house and having a pool for the last 1.5 years. We have a Salted In-ground pool. I have included the detail in the signature. I am having two problems in this stage that I am not sure they are related:
1. The chlorinator (Aquatech) is not producing the max level of chlorine. When it is running, the Orange light is on (while always the green light was on) and says, "Check/Clean cell. If clean then add Salt (see owner's manual)". Last time one of the Poolwrex guys came and cleaned the cell and things were ok. This time I cleaned it my self (using the acid), and I also added a bag of Salt and a bucket (15L) of liquid chlorine. But still the chlorine generator is show the same message .... check/clean or add salt. I don't know what else I should do?
2. The second problem is that the actual vacuum(?) that runs to clean the pool is not working very well lately. It runs for 1-5 mins and then stops. I have to stop the pump, sometimes do backwash and rinse and then it starts for a few mins and then stop.

Now a days, the bottom of the pool is getting green ... any recommendations please???

Hi Thanks for your reply,
I live in Sydney wests. The test results based on pool shop tests are:
Stabilizer = 18 ppm (low as per their recommended level)
Chlorine = 0.13 ppm (low as per their recommended level)
Ph Level = 8 (bit high)
Alkaline = 105 (Ok)
Salt = 10000 (hight)

Their recommendation is to add 2kg of stabilizer and 600 acid. But the thing that doesn't make sense is that
the chlorinator is still complaining about the SALT. Its Orange light is on and it says, clean the cell or add salt while the Salt level is high
and the pool shop says don't add any more salt. Also, even I have set the chlorine generation to Max, the chlorine meter shows it only produces 20 (mg?) while max should be 120 or more.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!!

10,000 sounds high for a SWCG :? (admittedly, I am not familiar with your particular SWCG, but most require 3 - 6,000 ppm)

To reiterate what Ann asked, how are you getting the test results?

If you have visible algae and a questionable SWCG, I'd stock up on bleach and add it liberally :)

Hi,
I got the test results through the pool store by providing the sample of the pool water.
The water is clean and clear but I can see green stuff at the bottom of the pool and in the sides and
assuming that is Algae? ... Are you re-commending adding bleach? Is bleach same as stabilizer?
I have to admit that within last 1.5 years the pool run very smoothly. We didn't have to do anything except
adding some bags of salt and some calcium/chlorine. Can the Algae grow if the level of Salt is high? according to pool
shop it should be between 6000-8000.

thx

In my experience, as water temp drops, the ability of the SWCG sensors to accurately read salt ppm in the water decreases. My IC-40 reads (today) 2800 ppm. Actual salt content is 3400-3600 range. The unit is giving a 'Low salt" signal (orange light), but is still producing plenty of chlorine. My strategy is to keep the unit happy with the minimum amount of salt it thinks it needs to produce chlorine (abt 2500)...as we approach next pool season, ppm reading will increase with water temp. At least that has been my observation thus far.

good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.