Does warming up the water distort chemical readings?

Aug 23, 2010
I once read that levels such as CH are best read when the water temp is around 70-80F. Since the water is currently colder than that, I put my test sample out in the sun for a little while until the water was warmer. Will that distort any readings? (the bottle is not clear btw, so I assume it won't break down the chlorine levels in just 30min?).

Reason I did this is because my CH reading seemed way off when I tested it the other day (cold water). It seemed out of line with previous readings, so today I tested it again but with the water warmed up a bit and the reading was back to normal.

The microwave would only heat up the water. It won't change the chemistry or readings except that it could increase outgassing which would raise the pH. Actually, the pH should be tested on actual pool water at its real temperature anyway because pH will vary somewhat with temperature. So you could test the pH and probably the TA, FC and CC using cold pool water and then heat it up to around 80ºF or so for doing the CH and CYA tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.