Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does warming up the water distort chemical readings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does warming up the water distort chemical readings?

I once read that levels such as CH are best read when the water temp is around 70-80F. Since the water is currently colder than that, I put my test sample out in the sun for a little while until the water was warmer. Will that distort any readings? (the bottle is not clear btw, so I assume it won't break down the chlorine levels in just 30min?).

Reason I did this is because my CH reading seemed way off when I tested it the other day (cold water). It seemed out of line with previous readings, so today I tested it again but with the water warmed up a bit and the reading was back to normal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does warming up the water distort chemical readings?

That's been my experience, too. I think it's the reaction between the reagents and whatever you're trying to measure is slower when cold.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The sun or other sources of warming won't affect the CH level so that's fine to do to get the sample closer to room or normal pool temperature.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys!

5. Back To Top    #5

To make it a little quicker, could you put the water in the microwave for about 20 seconds to let it warm up a little. Maybe even like 10 seconds.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    To make it a little quicker, could you put the water in the microwave for about 20 seconds to let it warm up a little. Maybe even like 10 seconds.
    I was thinking the same thing but was wondering if the radiation would screw up the chemicals?

7. Back To Top    #7

The microwave would only heat up the water. It won't change the chemistry or readings except that it could increase outgassing which would raise the pH. Actually, the pH should be tested on actual pool water at its real temperature anyway because pH will vary somewhat with temperature. So you could test the pH and probably the TA, FC and CC using cold pool water and then heat it up to around 80ºF or so for doing the CH and CYA tests.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"