Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with a TF-100 Kit...

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with a TF-100 Kit...

Hello all. We've had our pool for about 2 months now. It's SWG, so we've had the SWG on for about 3 weeks. Right now, the Chlorine/PH test registers orange when I test chlorine, so it's a bit high. I've been adjusting the % that the SWG spits out for a few days now to try to lower it. Pool builder set it at 50% for 8 hours. Our pool now runs for 7 hours each day, 3 hours of infloor cleaning, and 4 hours of filtering/SWG. Given the crazy level of chlorine, I've set the 4 hours of filtering to 20% and the cleaning to 0 in hopes of bringing it down, then will try to stabilize after that.

I bought the TF100 kit and did my first full test with it today. Here's what I got.

FC: 21
    CC: 0
    TC: 21
    PH: 7.5
    T/A: 120
    CH: no reading
    CYA: 55
    Water Temp: 55

A few questions - in the instructions for the kit, there is nothing mentioned about the pH so I just used the blue dropper kit, is this correct? Also, I got to 50 drops on the CH and still no blue water, so I gave up. Not sure if anyone has any hints on this... I'm hoping my CH isn't over 500...

Other questions: would anyone be doing anything else differently? Running the filter longer/shorter, running the infloor cleaning longer/shorter? etc? Do I need to worry about any of my measurements? I'll try the CH again after I get some feedback on this board. I was reading that CYA should be higher for an SWG pool, so should I start to raise that up, or is it generally ok?

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Joel
    ----
    Gilbert, AZ
    12,500 gal, 16'x26', 90' perim
    IG; Granite Blue Pebble Sheen
    SWG, Pentair VS3050 pump
    Sta-Rite cartridge filter
    MagnaSweep in ground
    QuickTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with a TF-100 Kit...

Hi, congrats on the new pool! Did you read the Extended test kit instructions thread? It gives more in-depth directions on how to conduct the tests.

You may want to bump your CYA to around 70, but there is no hurry to do so. In the summer you may notice that the SWG has a harder time maintaining FC in the summer if you leave it at 55, but in the winter it is no big deal. You may want to leave it as is for now and see how it performs during the summer.

You can turn the SWG down (or off) and let the FC drop to 3 which is the recommended level for your pool according to the pool calculator. During the winter it may take longer for the FC level to drop. Run your pump long enough to cycle the water through the filter each day. Depending on the speed and hp of the pump it could be as little as 4 hours. Experiment with your run times to see what works best for you.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure your FC is 21?
    1) How many drops of reagent did you add?
    2) Did you use a 10 ml or 25 ml water sample to measure the FC?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Zea - Thanks for the tips. I'll read the other instructions and likely turn my SWG off in order to bring the chlorine down.

BK- I followed the instructions with the kit, 10ml, drops, etc. I'm not surprised it was that high given that for the drop test the color was bright orange instead of yellow...
    ----
    Gilbert, AZ
    SWG, Pentair VS3050 pump
    MagnaSweep in ground
    QuickTouch4

5. Back To Top    #5

Joel, welcome to TFP

Per further reading in pool school, if you suspect high CH (not unusual in AZ) then, "For the Calcium Hardness test you can use a 10 mL sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and each drop of R-0012 then counts as 25 ppm. This is handy if your hardness is somewhat high, plus it saves on reagents."

This is the one test it pays to have a magnetic stirrer. Make sure you swirl at least 5-10 seconds between drops.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

What dman2b said.

I'd be amazed if your CH wasn't over 500, myself. And yes, you will be wishing you'd bought a speedstir when you ordered the kit. Sometimes when my CH test seems to be stalled in the purple phase, I'll just cycle the speedstir again without adding any drops. Sometimes that's all it takes to get it blue - more mixing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So I guess this begs the question... if my CH is so high, what should I do about it?

Thanks again for the help.
    ----
    Gilbert, AZ
    SWG, Pentair VS3050 pump
    MagnaSweep in ground
    QuickTouch4

8. Back To Top    #8

You can manage high CH by keeping your TA lower (around 70) and keeping the pH around 7.2. This should prevent calcium scale from forming.

The problem with high CH in the fill water is that as water evaporates out of the pool, the CH remains so that over time as you replace the evaporated water, the CH will rise. Some people are able to have softer water trucked in to do a drain and refill on the pool. You may want to see if reverse osmosis treatment for pools is available in your area. Reverse osmosis can greatly reduce the amount of CH (and other things) in your pool water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello all. Thanks to all the advice I was able to get a better reading. Used the 10ml water sample and mixed like a fiend between each drop. Water turned blue at 11 drops so I sit at about 275 CH which seems good. Hooray!

Again, thanks for the help!
    Joel
    ----
    Gilbert, AZ
    SWG, Pentair VS3050 pump
    MagnaSweep in ground
    QuickTouch4