Raypak Pool Heater

blogik

Nov 11, 2010
Hello!

I am new to this board and honestly, I joined because my dad asked me if I could find some reviews on a pool heater. He doesn't use a computer. So I googled the proposed heater and found very little in the way of reviews or comments. I found this board and thought I would pose the question here.

My parents live in Phoenix, AZ and need a new pool heater. I know- do you really need a heater in Phoenix? Well, yes early in the season and for the spa! The pool sits in the sun most of the day and honestly, the heater is only used early in the season (April) to take the chill off the water or to heat the spa.

The proposed heater is a Raypak digital (gas). I think my dad said RP2100.

I would just like to know if anyone has any experience with the Raypak heater- do you like it, does it need a lot of repairs?

Thanks in advance!

I'll second Kevin's opinion; they are great heaters. I don't think they go by Raypak and more, as Rheem owns them now. The RP2100 is/was a great, reliable heater.

My Raypak is almost 20 years old now and still works perfectly (he new digital looks like the exact same design), very simple and dead reliable ignition system. They aren't the most energy efficient on the market but with efficiency comes complication. I partially disassembled the heater this spring to clean out the rodent nests and make sure it was in good working order before I fired it up and honestly the headers looked like they could do another 20 years, very little corrosion or thinning in the core too.

I would certainly buy another.

The only recurring problem I had was a customer that kept on having mice nest near the mainboard control panel over the winter. They chewed up the wires a few times, traps and repellents seamed to do the trick.

I have a Raypak gas heater for 6 seasons thus far. The only problem I had was the main ckt board went bad giving me a 'clock error'. The ckt was an easy replace and the part $250, was found via google search and I replaced the card myself as the part came with replacement instructions. The ckt bd is a post card size and is integral with the LCD readout and was in the sun all day-this area gets very hot to touch from the sun so I surmised possiblke heat issues, but this was after 5 years.

I would buy the RP2100 again. My pool store says they can last up to 20 years if you maintain the pool chemistry. I too only use the heater in April and Sep, relying on a solar cover other periods since heating my pool runs about $6.00/hr in gas. I also use the soalr cover at night to minimize the heat loss during the April and Sep months-We close the pool Oct-Apr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
X-PertPool said:
The only recurring problem I had was a customer that kept on having mice nest near the mainboard control panel over the winter. They chewed up the wires a few times, traps and repellents seamed to do the trick.

This has happened to me twice.....I think I've got a couple rolls of electrical tape behind my panel. I just take the PC board out every winter, and load the bottom with mothballs.

Our 406A is about 6 years old, no issues yet. Good unit.

I have a question about this heater. I can't tell that it's on its very quiet. Is that normal? I'm expecting it to ramp up and be some what noticeable it's on. It does heat the pool 1 degree about every hour. The neighbors heater when he turns his on I hear it. Sounds like his pool would heat up in 30 min. Lol. He has the egg shape heater, I don't know the name.

Anyway, just curious if my situation is normal?

Thanks

Do you have the right size gas meter? Is the top of it hot? You should hear it running and you can stand by your meter...you should hear that thing humming too. Mine is a 406,000 Raypak and I can hear it kick on but its not loud...just noticeable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.