Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak Pool Heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak Pool Heater

Hello!

I am new to this board and honestly, I joined because my dad asked me if I could find some reviews on a pool heater. He doesn't use a computer. So I googled the proposed heater and found very little in the way of reviews or comments. I found this board and thought I would pose the question here.

My parents live in Phoenix, AZ and need a new pool heater. I know- do you really need a heater in Phoenix? Well, yes early in the season and for the spa! The pool sits in the sun most of the day and honestly, the heater is only used early in the season (April) to take the chill off the water or to heat the spa.

The proposed heater is a Raypak digital (gas). I think my dad said RP2100.

I would just like to know if anyone has any experience with the Raypak heater- do you like it, does it need a lot of repairs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Raypak Pool Heater

This is the only company I use for my heaters (Raypak/Rheem). Very easy to use, work on, and very little ever goes wrong.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll second Kevin's opinion; they are great heaters. I don't think they go by Raypak and more, as Rheem owns them now. The RP2100 is/was a great, reliable heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

My Raypak is almost 20 years old now and still works perfectly (he new digital looks like the exact same design), very simple and dead reliable ignition system. They aren't the most energy efficient on the market but with efficiency comes complication. I partially disassembled the heater this spring to clean out the rodent nests and make sure it was in good working order before I fired it up and honestly the headers looked like they could do another 20 years, very little corrosion or thinning in the core too.

I would certainly buy another.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

5. Back To Top    #5

We just had a pool installed and the PB said the Raypak is the only heater he would put in. The reviews I've read have all been positive.
    Shores

17,000 Gallon Vinyl-lined In-ground Sports Pool
    Triton II Sand Filter; WhisperFlo Pump
    Pentair Intellichlor Electronic Chlorine Generator Model IC40
    Ray-Pak Gas-Fired 250,000 BTU Pool Heater
    Polaris 380 Automatic Pool Cleaner with Booster Pump
    EasyTouch Control Panel
    Save-T 3 Automatic Pool Cover
    3 Skimmers, 3 Inlets, No Main Drains

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The only recurring problem I had was a customer that kept on having mice nest near the mainboard control panel over the winter. They chewed up the wires a few times, traps and repellents seamed to do the trick.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

i agree as well... only probelm ive seen with a raypak/rheem heater was a flame rollout from a dirty exchanger.
    When allother heaters fail in the spring the raypaks always fire right up!

I really like them
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Raypak gas heater for 6 seasons thus far. The only problem I had was the main ckt board went bad giving me a 'clock error'. The ckt was an easy replace and the part $250, was found via google search and I replaced the card myself as the part came with replacement instructions. The ckt bd is a post card size and is integral with the LCD readout and was in the sun all day-this area gets very hot to touch from the sun so I surmised possiblke heat issues, but this was after 5 years.

I would buy the RP2100 again. My pool store says they can last up to 20 years if you maintain the pool chemistry. I too only use the heater in April and Sep, relying on a solar cover other periods since heating my pool runs about $6.00/hr in gas. I also use the soalr cover at night to minimize the heat loss during the April and Sep months-We close the pool Oct-Apr
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

9. Back To Top    #9

I use mine for the same reason as your parents and it works fine.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just wish they looked better! That awful green color and they look like, well, you know what!

Hayward makes a much nicer LOOKING heater.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    The only recurring problem I had was a customer that kept on having mice nest near the mainboard control panel over the winter. They chewed up the wires a few times, traps and repellents seamed to do the trick.
    This has happened to me twice.....I think I've got a couple rolls of electrical tape behind my panel. I just take the PC board out every winter, and load the bottom with mothballs.

Our 406A is about 6 years old, no issues yet. Good unit.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a question about this heater. I can't tell that it's on its very quiet. Is that normal? I'm expecting it to ramp up and be some what noticeable it's on. It does heat the pool 1 degree about every hour. The neighbors heater when he turns his on I hear it. Sounds like his pool would heat up in 30 min. Lol. He has the egg shape heater, I don't know the name.

Anyway, just curious if my situation is normal?

Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

Completely normal. If you are getting one degree per hour temp. rise it is working, even without knowing heater or pool size details. Some heaters/models have a fan which can add noise. My Raypak is considerably quieter than my old Laars unit.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Mine is 3 years old, no problems so far, and Its easy to work on if needed, the whole burner tray slides out.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

15. Back To Top    #15

Do you have the right size gas meter? Is the top of it hot? You should hear it running and you can stand by your meter...you should hear that thing humming too. Mine is a 406,000 Raypak and I can hear it kick on but its not loud...just noticeable.
    Shotcrete 21x11 pool with raised 11x5.5 hot tub, 7' spill over. 1"x1" lunata bay mosaic tile and travertine coping. (Not sure of plaster yet) 1hp whisperflo pump for returns and water feature. 3hp whisperflo for 6 waterway jets in hottub. 3 jandy nichless lights. Hayward T-9, PS4, TA60 sand filter. Broke ground Aug 5, 2015 Aiming to be done Sep 10, 2015

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    I just wish they looked better! That awful green color and they look like, well, you know what!

Hayward makes a much nicer LOOKING heater.
    Green? My new Raypak/Rheem 407a is brown gray and flat black. Looks nice.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.