Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: How often do you disconnect your SWCG Cell?

8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every 2 months.

0 0%
  • Every 4 months.

0 0%
  • Every 6 months.

1 12.50%
  • I do, but on a totally different schedule.

1 12.50%
  • I don't disconnect or clean it.

3 37.50%
  • What disconnect, where?

1 12.50%
  • My poolboy does it better.

0 0%
  • None of the above.

2 25.00%

Thread: How many disconnect their SWCG for cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1
    Deep South

How many disconnect their SWCG for cleaning

from IntelliChlor manual

Cleaning the IECG Cell Blades
    Note: Before acid washing, remove the calcium buildup in cell: Use a garden hose on the jet setting and
    spray directly into both ends of the cell. Most of this calcium buildup has a slushy consistency and will be
    blown out of the cell. Once the majority of the calcium has been removed, continue with acid washing which
    will now be more effective since most of the calcium has been removed.
    1. Automatic Cleaning: The IECG has an automatic cell blade cleaning feature (cell reversing) helps
    removes scale deposits from the IECG blades. Note: Automatic cleaning does not interrupt chlorine
    production. “Scale” is a white crusty deposit that forms in excessively hard water or from pool water
    that is out of balance and in a scaling condition. If the IECG blades show excessive scaling, you need
    to perform an acid wash cleaning. Proceed to “Acid Wash Cleaning,” Step 2.
    2. Acid Wash Cleaning: If the IECG blades show a tendency to scale, it is recommended that every
    two (2) months the IECG be removed and inspected for scale formation and/or debris on the IECG
    blades. Some filters allow debris to pass through to the IECG, possibly lodging between the blades in
    the IECG. A small amount of scale formation is normal. If by looking through the IECG it is observed
    that there is excessive scale formation between the blades or debris is present, the IECG must be
    cleaned as follows:
    a. Use a high-pressure jet of water from a garden hose. If the blades cannot be reasonably cleaned in
    this manner, acid cleaning is necessary.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How may disconnect their SWCG every for cleaning

My salt cell schedule does not fit into any one of the survey choices.

The Aquarite provides a reminder to "check cell" every 500 hours. I visually inspect the cell and clean as necessary.

During the off season this may be every 3 to 4 months with minimal run times.
    During the the swim season with 10 to 12 hour daily run times, it is usually every month and a half.

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

Re: How may disconnect their SWCG for cleaning

I've run my IC-40 for 3 seasons and never have removed it since the day it was installed. Never had a drop in performance since day one. I have a vinyl pool, have minimal calcium in the water, have soft fill water and only run it 4 hours out of every 24 so my scaling potential is almost nil. I'll probably look at it when i open this spring though.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Brisbane, Australia

Re: How may disconnect their SWCG for cleaning

to disconnect or not highly depends on cell design

some are easier cleaned when disconnected, some - the other way