Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump installed, is it strong enough

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump installed, is it strong enough

I previously had 2 hp motor that came with the pool when we bought the house. It was an old Centurion.

Old Pump:

New Pump label:

Setup:

All my specs below are accurate except for the pump, which i haven't updated to the 1.5 pump yet.

Is this enough pump to get the job done? I was at work when the install was done and checked when i got home and noticed it was only 1.5. Plan on calling them tomorrow to ask about that and if they replaced the seal between the motor, because i read that is a must when replacing motors. I have used this company for other pool issues and they have always done a good job, but i thought i would seek advice on here as well.

Thanks in advance!
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump installed, is it strong enough

It looks like it should have plenty of power. I would ask if they replaced the seals and impeller.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

While that 1½hp pump will be fine on a 21K gal pool, it's more about the pump model than the pump size. Different pumps have different flow rates at different heads. As I said, any 1½ hp pump is gonna be fine unless you're running solar 3 stories high.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Did they replace the entire pump, or just the motor?

If the entire pump, you should be fine.

If just the motor, you now have a 2.5hp impeller being spun by a 1.65hp motor... Correct?
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by acroy
    Did they replace the entire pump, or just the motor?

If the entire pump, you should be fine.

If just the motor, you now have a 2.5hp impeller being spun by a 1.65hp motor... Correct?
    Sorry they just replaced the motor, but did change out the impeller and the seal.
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's likely that your pump was oversized a bit to begin with. If they reduced the size of the impeller to match the 1.5hp motor, it should be fine. If they left the original impeller in place, it could be a problem. I'd have them replace one or the other as the motor size should match the impeller size.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.