Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New house, with pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New house, with pool

I ended up here when I got an idea in my head that some day, in the not too distant future, I'd like to upgrade my pool area from the sort of plain concrete pool deck that I have currently, to something that looks more like some of the pictures I've seen of "oasis" areas. I'm currently in no hurry to go tearing up the decking (not sure I would need to do that even) and I haven't the slightest clue about anything pool related....yet.

A little of what I know at this point.

1. We purchased the house a month ago and had the pool closed two days later....so much for enjoying that.
    2. I'm located in south central Kentucky.
    3. The pool is salt water.
    4. I'm 95% sure the pool has a vinyl liner with either metal or plastic coping around the edge.
    5. It's an "athletic style" pool, 3ft. to 6ft. to 3ft. (ish).
    6. It has a heater.
    7. There is an under water, "robot" with a catch net attached.
    8. There are several hand held devices for cleaning the pool stored at the house also.

I'm waiting on a call back from the pool builder to get some more information about the construction of the pool. I'll post more information as I know it and try to keep the questions I have in the correct areas of the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (29.8 KB, 318 views)
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New house, with pool

Welcome to TFP and nice house/pool

IMO, I think for half the cost of ripping up the existing deck, you can get that "tropical" look with some nice landscaping. I was expecting to see something a little less pretty when scrolling down to the pic, but said "gosh...looks fine to me" That said I am a plain type of guy. Some nice grasses as well as a palm or two would make a tremendous difference if weather conditions permit...just my two cents.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

i too was expecting to see a run down POS lol... looks darn good to me!
    Some new landscape, and concrete paint will do wonders. You have a great canvas to start from.

Its funny, anytime i hear somone say kentucky i think, Hillbillys, farms, & county folk. Not a nice home with a sweet inground pool

Then again, when i tell ppl im from the " jersey shore" they probably think im a tanned up guido, who fist pumps while fixing pools, and drinks yaggerbombs at the bar with my broski's. HAHA!

welcome to TFP!!!
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Heckpools
    Then again, when i tell ppl im from the " jersey shore" they probably think im a tanned up guido, who fist pumps while fixing pools, and drinks yaggerbombs at the bar with my broski's.
    Ever hang out with Snookie?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the compliments. I even wear shoes...most of the time. I realize that it looks fine just the way it is, but I was think something more along the lines of a "natural" look with stone surfaces and such. May not work well with the existing brick though. I'm no designer.

After doing a little reading I did realize that I have a "pressure" automatic cleaner, not a robot. Learned something already, LOL.

I also just realized that I use "quotes" a lot.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

For starters, something like what Rdrunner has around their pool is what I'm referring to.

Are those coping stones around the edge just on top of what I already have as my concrete decking? It looks like the rounded metal or plastic coping is there, under the stone. The particular type of stone is not exactly what I'm talking about but the look is. Then from there, back to the edge of my existing concrete or further, away from the pool, doing some type of stone work.

7. Back To Top    #7

Possibilites are endless, depending on budget. Here is a site I recently refered someone to for some ideas.

http://www.sundesignpools.com/gallery.cfm?p=1

The key with stone coping is to position it in a way so that future liner replacement is still possible. BK406 likely has some helpful advice around that process.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Those pictures are great. Looks like exactly the sort of thing I was talking about.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckpools
    Then again, when i tell ppl im from the " jersey shore" they probably think im a tanned up guido, who fist pumps while fixing pools, and drinks yaggerbombs at the bar with my broski's.
    Ever hang out with Snookie?
    Had her in the hottub lastnight.
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Shock the tub as outlined in the procedures in Pool School and you should be fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Shock the tub as outlined in the procedures in Pool School and you should be fine.
    Thanks Dave I have to clean the coffee from the keyboard again.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome & congratualtions on the fine looking pool Joshs!

Agree with the others: look at landscaping, maybe concrete stain/paint/texturing. Should be no reason to rip the old stuff out. IMHO the landscaping is what really 'makes' the pool. Lots of pictures on this forum in the Showoff section.

Cheers
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I just spit out my tea
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

Here are some more pictures of the pool equipment that I have.

15. Back To Top    #15

Pictures continued

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks like a nice setup - heater, circulation pump, salt water system, and a booster pump for your pressure pool cleaner.

Suggest read pool school, get a water test kit, and start maintaining it! Don't let it get away from you over the winter.
    Cheers
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

17. Back To Top    #17

The pool is currently closed and under a cover. I'm assuming that since this has been done, there's nothing to maintain until the spring when I decide to open it. Am I wrong in saying this?

18. Back To Top    #18

Nah you should be fine, as long as it was closed properly ( water drained etc). Sorry I thought it was still open. Cheers & see you in the Spring!

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Since you seem to be wanting to do something with the "appearance" of the pool area, I agree that landscaping can make a huge difference. You might contact a true landscape designer in your area - not just a guy like me who can plant bushes somewhere... The good ones can make it look awesome rather than just ordinary. Congratulations on a nice place & good luck as you start your project next spring!
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

20. Back To Top    #20

I'll second the designer. Nothing beats a pro to help with plants and placement. A good landscape plan will cost maybe $300 and worth every penny.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.