Replacing old single speed pump with dual or variable

idjit

Nov 9, 2010
I have an 8yr old pool with attached spa 9-10K gallons total
I need a replacement pump. Original pump is a single speed Sta-rite dura-glass II w/ 2hp ao smith engine.
I would like a variable speed Hayward ecostar or Pentair Intelliflo or possibly Jandy epump.
At the very least, if the variables provide not suitable, then a 2 speed either probably Jandy stealth or Pentair whisperflo

Problem,
I have an Air switch that controls the jets, air, jets plus air to spa.
This runs to an Intermatic PB313E digital control – this control is the timer for on/off of the pump as well as providing the air switch for spa.

It seems the variable speeds require new, fancy electronics that cost what they do or much more to enable them to do the same thing my $35 (seems current replacement cost for the intermatic) does.
With the variables

are there any that will work with what I have (and say, not get stuck in one speed if it does)
is there a way to use the built in controller (the one attached to the back of the motors) and just a wired input from a spa-side switch that will work with the air tank so I can tell the pump on, on plus air, air only??
If not, what is the minimum replacement that will work with it and possibly an air switch of most seem to be wired or wireless spa side remotes – what would I need

Saltwater chlorine generator is Naturesoft by pebble technology
perfectemp electric heater

I will try including a link to some photos tomorrow

dschlic1 said:
Are you are asking for a simple on/off switch to perform a speed control function? Even if you go to a two speed pump, you will still need some way to select high or low speed.

The Intermatic controls 1 or 2 speed pump - different wiring
program 1 does x speed at times a through b
program 2 does x speed at times a through b
program 3
program 4

I'd have to look up the exact speeds each program does but depending on the number of program it uses the either speed 1 high or 2 low.

So yes, I'm asking it to control speed

Apart from that -
As the electronics for all options I need are built into the Hayward ecostar and pentair intelliflo I'd like to use one but I'm stuck on the attached spa pump on, pump plus air on, air only on..............
And pentair, hayward seem to just be giving me a run around.

What I'd like to know 1st I guess is can a wired electronic spa side control (electric replacement for manual air switch) just work with Hayward ecostar or the intelliflo built in system - if so that would be perfect as all the on/off/variable speeds are controlled by the included system on the pump
If not - I'd like to know, pump manufacturers - really?, REALLY? Why on earth not............... or something to that effect.
And also if not what exactly to I need for a new controller to plug in to the existing controllers on the pumps and override their functions (ridiculous but so far it sound the case) only to then buy an electric replacement to the air switch hook into the replacement controller and work.

My pool has no extra water features...... automations....... no two three four thirty pumps plus booster, no automatic valve actuators, no digital pool vacuums, no fancy lighting scenarios (the lighting we have turned on by a switch on wall is never used anyway - ever) no nothing......
Just attached 8 person spa, small kidney (or more heart) shaped pool with a great white vacuum that is set with a partially open valve to provide for it always to be running when the pump is on......... and when spa is wanted we go out and change the valves for it. Temp is set by the heater's knob and verified with a floating thermometer - it's always exact within a very short time of heater being turned on.

I just want a more efficient pump........ and have had a couple people tell me this or that Intelliflo does everything I need then I ask about well the air switch is going to work correctly - then I get oh, no, if I want to be able to do that then I need a $500-$2500+ control system plus extra controls to wire in to allow for the air bubbles......
I get well the Intelliflo VF will do it because it decides the rates for what I want to do and the existing intermatic with built in air switch will work - but then what speed is it going to decide on - what about if I'm going to be using the partially open valves for the vacuum.... Well then someone else comes and says no even without that it wont work correctly with the air switch.... I need their fancy controller and their extra wired or wireless remote.

When I have someone come out and say it will all work and then do I want it put in then only with a few more questions find out it really wont work (ie, won't be able to have a functioning spa w/ bubbles) and they weren't going to either 'know' this until they had installed a pump for $2500 then 'discover' until after it was too late that they would also have to install $2500 worth of controllers not to mention I should be upgrading my old heater - because it's old and and my old filter because it's old - and not even consider not doing it because it looks and functions like new............................

I want to rip out all my hair.

It seems as every manufacturer should put out our pump will work this way with this and that or our electronics will work this way with this pump or that pump
It's not like there are THAT many pump options and controller options.
Instead they farm you to a contractor who may of may not know this or that but still charges you and then maybe another contractor who charges you to tell you the other contractor just gave you completely false info because they must not know what they are going.

I would think that an existing two speed controller will not work with a variable speed pump. For your standard two speed pump, you will have two power switches, one for high speed and another for low speed. For high speed operation, the high speed switch is closed and the low speed switch is open. For low speed operation the high speed switch is open and the low speed switch is closed. For pump off all switches are open.
For a variable speed pump you will need a power switch to supply power to the pump for operation ate either high or low speed. You also need two, potentially smaller switches, one for high speed, and another for low speed. You can do this with the standard setup described above, however you will need to add some relay logic. If you want to go that route, I can supply some help.
How is your air system controlled right now? Do you have a seperate air blower? If so how is the air blower turned on and off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.