Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rusted Skimmer screws

1. Back To Top    #1

Rusted Skimmer screws

Our Salt water pool is only 4 months old. The screws that hold the skimmer on the side of the pool are already rusting and bleeding down the side. I just talked to our Pool installer this morning and they said it was the "metals" in the water that are causing the rust. They pretend there is nothing they can do. I think they are using the wrong type of screws. What is the truth? What can I do?
    36X18 Inground Pool, SWG, Hayward Pump, Hayward gas heater, Undertrack Auto Cover, Interfab basketball system, TF-100 Test kit, Polaris 9300 Robot Cleaner, Pool Completed July 29 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rusted Skimmer screws

You're right. They used cheap screws and need to replace them with the correct stainless steel screws, but it really might be easier just to do it yourself.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Where would I buy the replacement screws? Lowes, Home Depot? I called them back and they claimed it was a "faulty" screw. I said all 4 were faulty? They stated they would come out in the spring and replace them. Right.
    36X18 Inground Pool, SWG, Hayward Pump, Hayward gas heater, Undertrack Auto Cover, Interfab basketball system, TF-100 Test kit, Polaris 9300 Robot Cleaner, Pool Completed July 29 2010

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm having the same issue on our newly built pool. The PB said they will bring out a cover plate so we couldn't see the screw heads. I'm not sure, but that doesn't seem to solve the issue, just mask it.

I'll probably just change them out myself next spring.
    Shores

17,000 Gallon Vinyl-lined In-ground Sports Pool
    Triton II Sand Filter; WhisperFlo Pump
    Pentair Intellichlor Electronic Chlorine Generator Model IC40
    Ray-Pak Gas-Fired 250,000 BTU Pool Heater
    Polaris 380 Automatic Pool Cleaner with Booster Pump
    EasyTouch Control Panel
    Save-T 3 Automatic Pool Cover
    3 Skimmers, 3 Inlets, No Main Drains

5. Back To Top    #5

You need Titanium or 316 Stainless Steel screws. Don't bother with 304 SS. You can get them from mcmaster.com or a good local hardware store (probably not HD or Lowes).
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I've ranted ( ) on this in the past. Are the skimmers Hayward?

Apparently there's some bad stainless screws out there Good quality stainless steel screws will fix the issue. If there's rust on the faceplate a little rubbing with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) will remove the stain

By no means simply cover the faceplate without first replacing the inferior quality screws

I've usually seen the light screws rust out first so take a look at them too. Also, SR Smith ladders seem to have been cursed with inferior stainless washers - check those as well

Make no mistake, the salt shows the poor quality ss more quickly than a pool who's salinity is below ~ 1500ppm.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, Hayward skimmer.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

When you replace the screws check the old ones with a magnet. SS typically has a very very weak attraction to magnets [depending on what grade]. Sometimes you can barely pick up a SS screw with a rare earth magnet. In other words it shouldn't look like this picture of my magnet stuck to non-stainless steel step screws. "Hey look they are rotting away! who would of thought! lol"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

I am still trying to replace the rusted screws on my hayward skimmer plate. I have tried mcmaster.com, but I have no idea what size I need. My plate has 16 holes. Any ideas?

10. Back To Top    #10

I dont know, but you could take one out, bring it to Lowes or HD and slip on the right nut, then you will know the size and pitch.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I tried that and could not find any match. I'll take a screw to a local nut and bolt company and see if they have some stainless screws that are the same.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by sd72667
    I tried that and could not find any match. I'll take a screw to a local nut and bolt company and see if they have some stainless screws that are the same.
    Did you try both standard AND metric? It has to be one of those sizes!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump