filter cart replacement; Unicel vs Pleatco?

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
It may be time to replace the cartridges in the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus. I have no idea how old they are, the pool is now 11 years old, maybe they have been replaced along the way, maybe not. We've been here 2 years, no info in the files about any new carts. Whether files are complete is unknown, seems to be.

A couple of the straps have broken, and they are pretty well discolored, rusty stains and grey that won't wash out. I'll admit that I have not soaked in dishwasher detergent, the 80 gallon size that might hold the 4 would be pretty expensive to fill up. I had used "Filter magic" to clean them but I can't find that the last few times I looked.

So, the question is, should I go with the same thing, Unicel c-7472 $61 online or $86 locally, or go with Pleatco PCC130 for $46.85 online. I need all 4 I think.

Oh nevermind... I spent the elapsed time checking out the websites for each manufacturer and found small differences between the brands, same fabric, perhaps different sharpness of pleats, different core material. Based on same fabric ansd same sq ft area I decide to go with the less expensive Pleatco. Based on the Pentair website I should expect to replace carts every 3 years so it won't be too long before I get to revisit this choice.

Followup -- the new filter cartridges arrived and I notice that the Pleatco has 5 bands instead of 4 and the band is stuck to the pleats so the filter fabric will stay in place. The former brands bands were not stuck and so the pleats moved around a bit. I think I may like these better. [edit] - Nope that was wrong, same number of bands and I think both brands are well stuck to bands when new, the older one was unstuck due to wear and some broken band.

Now waiting for it to warm up a bit before we change them out. Then we can see if that is the problem with the heater, high pressure. and I can soak the old carts in dishwasher detergent to get them clean enough to store. Wish me luck!

anonapersona, can you share online store where you made the purchase? while all my system components are new, would like to have a spare cartridge that I could simply swap in while cleaning the other one. best price I've found for mine so far is over $100

This was from PoolProducts4Less.com

I get my Polaris parts and skimmer socks from them also.

I will note for everyone that the Pleatco cartridge is ever so much smaller at the end cap fitting so that it will not sit down completely. I may try to sand the ends next time I open the filter up, it is close but just a tiny bit narrow. Otherwise, the Pleatco is lighter due to the different core, they have the same number of bands and I think the older Unicel carts were no longer attached to the banding in places due to age, not design.

Meanwhile, the heater is STILL not working correctly. I'll put that into a different post, however.

I contacted Pentair last summer to find out which cartridges were best to use for Quad DE 100 filter replacements. The tech who responded told me Unicel makes the oem carts for Pentair and that the C-6900 was essentially the exact same cartridge. FYI.

That is about as biased a presentation as I could imagine anyone making. The conditions required to cause that kind of damage are very unusual, not something most people need to worry about. Also, note that they didn't subject the Unicel cartridge to the same conditions, instead they show you a brand new Unicel cartridge and simply wave their hands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've used both and been happy with each one. I usually go with who has the better price at the time I'm ready to buy. (150 sq.) I was wondering though if any cartridge folks out there have tried DE or similar media with their carts. Last year I used Sparkle Up, a cellulose product & it worked very well but was kind of pricey. I have also seen a product called Purifiber out there which is probably the same as Sparkle Up. Any thoughts out there? Also I was wondering how much DE one would add. I'd be worried about my pressure flying up! Come on summer sun--I want to be in my pool!

Adding DE to a cartridge filter is not generally a good idea. The DE usually get permanently embedded in the filter fabric. This does improve capture of very small particles a little but it also increases flow resistance. Also if you add too much DE you can destroy the cartridge. The cellulose products are different, in that their fibers do not become embedded and can easily be rinsed off.

My cartridge filter uses DE. When clean the pressure runs 0-1 psi @ 25gpm. I've cleaned these oem carts over 10 times now and I still get the same performance with respect to flow resistance. I'm surprise how easily the spent DE and dirt comes off of them. They'll be 4 yrs old in a few months. This filter design uses 4 carts instead of one big one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.