taking apart a Hayward 2hp Northstar pump.

Bama Rambler said:
Have you removed all the motor bolts and the impeller? If so the motor should release from the wet end. It may be stuck so a little persuasion might be needed.

I dont think I can remove the impeller without seperating the two pieces first. Dont see any bolts to remove.

So you're not trying to remove the motor from the housing you haven't separated the casing yet. To separate the casing from the backplate, remove the baseplate and rotate the halves to unlock the parts then they'll slide apart. The parts should rotate counterclockwise to unlock.

just to make sure we're on the same page This is pic of what we're dealing with. I'm trying to seperate from where the screwdriver is wedged at _ screwdriver added for emphasis

DSCN0627.jpg

You can use the screwdriver to pry the two pieces apart. The o-ring which seals the two parts that you're trying to separate, has gotten grit/residue around it and they can be hard to get apart. There is no mechanical device holding the two together so don't worry about breaking anything. When you reassemble, replace the large housing o-ring and also replace the diffuser o-ring as it has been known to bind badly. Moisten both o-rings well (no globs) with a good silicone based lubricant for easier reassembly.

Here is how take apart my Northstar. Put the wet end downward between your feet and pull up on the motor while slightly rotating motion of the motor, not turning the motor but more of a circular wiggle. Eventually this will work it's way loose. It will be a bit hard to separate as well as put together again. However, I would avoid prying it open with a screw driver or anything else as this will likely damange the seal and/or back plate. The circular rocking motion will not damage either and has worked for me everytime.

Muchas Gracias! Yes it's just supposed to slide out but it doesn't do it easily. I just stuck the screwdriver in to point out what two parts needed to be pulled apart. It does come apart but you do have to put some muscle into it. I hate to really yank on things if I don't know if that's what needs done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.