Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: taking apart a Hayward 2hp Northstar pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

taking apart a Hayward 2hp Northstar pump.

How do you get the motor seperated from the lid part? I don't know if I just need to pull with a massive amount of brute strength or if there is a trick to it.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: taking apart a Hayward 2hp Northstar pump.

Have you removed all the motor bolts and the impeller? If so the motor should release from the wet end. It may be stuck so a little persuasion might be needed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Have you removed all the motor bolts and the impeller? If so the motor should release from the wet end. It may be stuck so a little persuasion might be needed.

I dont think I can remove the impeller without seperating the two pieces first. Dont see any bolts to remove.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control

4. Back To Top    #4

Its threaded on, left hand thread so turn it clockwise from the impeller end to remove.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

5. Back To Top    #5

So you're not trying to remove the motor from the housing you haven't separated the casing yet. To separate the casing from the backplate, remove the baseplate and rotate the halves to unlock the parts then they'll slide apart. The parts should rotate counterclockwise to unlock.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

just to make sure we're on the same page This is pic of what we're dealing with. I'm trying to seperate from where the screwdriver is wedged at _ screwdriver added for emphasis

Brian

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You can use the screwdriver to pry the two pieces apart. The o-ring which seals the two parts that you're trying to separate, has gotten grit/residue around it and they can be hard to get apart. There is no mechanical device holding the two together so don't worry about breaking anything. When you reassemble, replace the large housing o-ring and also replace the diffuser o-ring as it has been known to bind badly. Moisten both o-rings well (no globs) with a good silicone based lubricant for easier reassembly.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is how take apart my Northstar. Put the wet end downward between your feet and pull up on the motor while slightly rotating motion of the motor, not turning the motor but more of a circular wiggle. Eventually this will work it's way loose. It will be a bit hard to separate as well as put together again. However, I would avoid prying it open with a screw driver or anything else as this will likely damange the seal and/or back plate. The circular rocking motion will not damage either and has worked for me everytime.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Muchas Gracias! Yes it's just supposed to slide out but it doesn't do it easily. I just stuck the screwdriver in to point out what two parts needed to be pulled apart. It does come apart but you do have to put some muscle into it. I hate to really yank on things if I don't know if that's what needs done.
    Brian