Whisperflo pump not pumping and making humming noise

Halp! I came home from work last night and noticed that the pump wasn't running (it was about 8:30, my pump is set to turn on a little after 6). I went over to the pump, and it was making a loud humming sound. I turned off the power, and I smelled a burning smell. It was dark, and I only had a small flashlight, not that I know what to be looking for. The motor (I'm guessing) was hot to the touch, the part that's behind the basket. I do know that the "pot/basket" did have water in it. I left the pump off. When I got home from work today I tried turning on the power and I'm still getting the loud humming sound. Like it's getting power, but nothing is happening. I am at a loss of what to do or what to check. I know that the pump is a Whisperflo, but I don't know offhand what the hp is. Is there anything I can do? Am I totally SOL? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You are likely SOL.

Pull the main for safety and pull the pump basket out and see if you can spin the impeller by hand.

If you can you are probably hosed, if you cant you are hosed for sure.

Sound like a dry run overheated everything- which points to you potentially having another problem, but maybe not.

Sounds like the motor is gone, but you may be able to save the wet end of the pump- maybe not.

Uncle Dave

If you can spin the pump manually it may be a bad capacitor. Easily replaced. If you can't spin it then it's time to look for something jamming the impeller. If you find something you may be able to revive it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.