Quick question on CH

ajones02

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 4, 2010
Keller, Texas
my question is very similar to acroy's recent post. i ran a full battery of test today with the TF100 with these results:

FC 11.0
CC 0
TC 11.O
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 410
CYA 75
TEMP 60
Water VERY CLEAR

trying to get my SWG adjusted to lower the chlorine a bit but based on the pool caluculator it's at the high end of the range. currently running the pump 10 hrs a day with the SWG set at 10% (adjusted today). pool calculator indicates a CSI of -0.52 which if i'm understanding CSI is still in the acceptable range.

what i'm concerned about just like acroy is the CH. it was up around 400 a couple of months ago and then we had 7 inches of rain in one day and that dropped it back down to 290. it's been on the increase since and just want to clarify if anything needs to be done at this point to lower the CH.

as always, thanks for any feedback!

:cheers:

Do not worry about lowering the CH unless the saturation index starts to get much closer to zero and even then it's not a big issue unless you start to see scaling in your salt cell which won't be an issue soon since it will be shutting off when the water gets colder (probably around 55ºF or so). Why is the CH rising so much? Do you have a lot of evaporation and refill with high CH water?

i'm not quite sure what's causing the rise in CH. over the summer i added water probably every other day or every 3rd day at least. i was afraid i had a leak somewhere but when i did the bucket test, it indicated there was no leak. we did have a very hot summer here in north texas though. i only add water now maybe once a week at most.

Test the CH of your fill water to see what you're refilling with. It's probably fairly high naturally.

The best safeguard against scaling is controlling the pH. Keeping it not much higher than where you are will prbably preclude any calcium issues.

thanks all for the quick feedback. i agree we had a lot of evaporation over the summer and so far this fall. it does seem to be easing somewhat though. i have always tried to keep the PH around 7.5 for the most part and will continue to do so. thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.