Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question on CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question on CH

my question is very similar to acroy's recent post. i ran a full battery of test today with the TF100 with these results:

FC 11.0
    CC 0
    TC 11.O
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 410
    CYA 75
    TEMP 60
    Water VERY CLEAR

trying to get my SWG adjusted to lower the chlorine a bit but based on the pool caluculator it's at the high end of the range. currently running the pump 10 hrs a day with the SWG set at 10% (adjusted today). pool calculator indicates a CSI of -0.52 which if i'm understanding CSI is still in the acceptable range.

what i'm concerned about just like acroy is the CH. it was up around 400 a couple of months ago and then we had 7 inches of rain in one day and that dropped it back down to 290. it's been on the increase since and just want to clarify if anything needs to be done at this point to lower the CH.

as always, thanks for any feedback!

17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question on CH

Do not worry about lowering the CH unless the saturation index starts to get much closer to zero and even then it's not a big issue unless you start to see scaling in your salt cell which won't be an issue soon since it will be shutting off when the water gets colder (probably around 55ºF or so). Why is the CH rising so much? Do you have a lot of evaporation and refill with high CH water?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

i'm not quite sure what's causing the rise in CH. over the summer i added water probably every other day or every 3rd day at least. i was afraid i had a leak somewhere but when i did the bucket test, it indicated there was no leak. we did have a very hot summer here in north texas though. i only add water now maybe once a week at most.
    17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

we had a LOT of evaporation this summer & fall; drives the CH up pretty quick. you can probably dial down pump runtime unless you're using it to clean while the leaves fall...
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Test the CH of your fill water to see what you're refilling with. It's probably fairly high naturally.

The best safeguard against scaling is controlling the pH. Keeping it not much higher than where you are will prbably preclude any calcium issues.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks all for the quick feedback. i agree we had a lot of evaporation over the summer and so far this fall. it does seem to be easing somewhat though. i have always tried to keep the PH around 7.5 for the most part and will continue to do so. thanks again!!!!!!!!!!