copper/silver sanitization and filtration compatibility

Nov 2, 2010
Hi,
I have been using a copper/silver ionizer for 10 years and have the cleanest most chemical free pool here in France! However, I recently changed from sand filtration to a clean and clear hayward cartridge filter of a size suitable for my 25,000 gallon pool in order to save water from backwashing, and it is gunked up every three to four weeks. I am wondering whether the copper/silver ions are doing this and whether I should go back to sand? The pool gets heavy usage in season as it is at a holiday rental property so do I need a larger cartridge unit? My pump is a hayward 1cv energy efficient model. Labour maintenance here is costly. I would rather cut my losses and get the right system as it will be more cost effective in the long run. Any help would be much appreciated.
thank you

Welcome to TFP.

By going to a cartridge filter you're filtering finer particles. If your pool has a load that's fine material then the cartridge is catching more of it and clogging sooner. You should have bought a filter much larger than recommended for your pool size. You basically have three options. Add a second cartridge filter parallel to the one you have now, Replace the one you have now with a much larger cartridge filter, or go back to a sand filter. It's up to you which you choose.

Hi Sdeleng, welcome to the forum.

As Bama Rambler stated and you probably know the cartridge filters are available at all different filtration sizes, not just the physical size of the unit. Sand doesn't generally filter as fine so particles pass through. Your ioniser also produces positively charged ions into the water, these attract negatively charged organics and cause them to flocculate together and as you know you don't use flocculents with cartridge filters.

May I suggest you look at the Waterco cyclonic pre filter as these can remove a fair amount of dirt etc before the main filter and only takes 15 litres of water to clean so saving a fair amount. Maybe an idea for you and could save a fair amount of filter cartridge cleaning.
http://www.waterco.eu/products?ptitle=multicyclone-prefilter_63

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.