Skimmer placement: Is my PB correct or is he full of BS.

FLA Rider

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Is my PB correct or is he full of BS. I think he put the skimmer to low in the deck but this is what he told me in an email. I measured down 3" from the and used a level to draw a pencil line around the skimmer opening. Also you got 11/2" to 2" from the bottom of the skimmer to the bottom of the tile. I'm not sure how or if he is going to correct that.

What you may not understand, which is common, is that I set my skimmers down somewhat to create increased downward flow through the weir door, resulting in great surface water movement to the skimmer. I am on site and this is perfect, no worries, it will flow great.
[attachment=2:tifb0amb]P1020326.JPG[/attachment:tifb0amb]
The PB also put the auto water leveler too low and plugged the overflow.

This is his comments on that 11-1-10 @10:50am:

The only auto fill they we have ever set to drain was the name removed pool. This was installed because name removed insisted upon this option. The unfortunate feature of this particular option is that it sets the water level far too low for my taste and I don’t think you would be happy with the outcome. On all the pools we have built, except name removed , we have not enabled this drain feature because of this flaw. Mine included. We can set it to drain if you wish, just please be aware the water level will not finish as high as the middle of the water line tile and the effect will be noticeable. As your builder I recommend against this option. Is was not discussed because the drain feature itself was never discussed. My apologies if this is confusing, its just that with almost every device on a pool, house, etc. there are different ways of installing and using the item and we have always installed the products to provide the best finished look, as well as function.

His comment at 11-1-10 2:36pm:

We shot the auto fill completely in gunite. Using the drain is not an option at this point as it would require breaking it out of the gunite which may result in a breakage of the system and creating a weak point in the shell, which is why I shoot them in to begin with.
The drain we install on our pools will work very well, I promise. Once again, I do this to protect my clients and our pools against a low water level which is the result. Also, I did conform the auto fill system is shot to the correct height. What you are seeing is the fill line which is well below the desired water level.

[attachment=0:tifb0amb]P1020309.JPG[/attachment:tifb0amb]

I'm not to happy at this time with my PB

Marc

Attachments

• P1020326.JPG
    P1020326.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 583
  • P1020263-1.JPG
    P1020263-1.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 579
  • P1020309.JPG
    P1020309.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 578
A skimmer "too low" is better than a skimmer "too high". Skimmers are a "flooded suction", so less water could encourage a vortex in the skimmer, whereas more water will allow for sufficient water in the throat. I can't really tell from the picture (and I need to get to work but wanted to respond!) how low it is, but it will most likely be okay. (I'll try and check back later tonight and see if I can better understand the dimensions you have, when I'm not pressed for time :oops: ).

As for the autofill, I'm calling horse pucky! I don't like those autofill units (they are glorified toilet bowl floats, and they are notorious for sticking), but I see lots of them installed. As for adjusting it now being too late, I have seen (and done my fair share) of busting out gunite to move/fix something done wrong! It ain't fun (especially if it is shotcrete!), but it is doable. What good is an autofill if it doesn't hold the correct level? And trying to blame you for wanting one is baloney as well! You are the customer and are paying the bills! I'd have him fix it and maybe gently remind him that he works for you!

I'll check back later-sorry for being kind of vague on the skimmer :oops:

Thanks for your reply. If the PB is correct that is great. Just wanted to find out for my own piece of mind.

Marc

simicrintz said:
A skimmer "too low" is better than a skimmer "too high". Skimmers are a "flooded suction", so less water could encourage a vortex in the skimmer, whereas more water will allow for sufficient water in the throat. I can't really tell from the picture (and I need to get to work but wanted to respond!) how low it is, but it will most likely be okay. (I'll try and check back later tonight and see if I can better understand the dimensions you have, when I'm not pressed for time :oops: ).

As for the autofill, I'm calling horse pucky! I don't like those autofill units (they are glorified toilet bowl floats, and they are notorious for sticking), but I see lots of them installed. As for adjusting it now being too late, I have seen (and done my fair share) of busting out gunite to move/fix something done wrong! It ain't fun (especially if it is shotcrete!), but it is doable. What good is an autofill if it doesn't hold the correct level? And trying to blame you for wanting one is baloney as well! You are the customer and are paying the bills! I'd have him fix it and maybe gently remind him that he works for you!

I'll check back later-sorry for being kind of vague on the skimmer :oops:

As long as there is enough room for debris (e.g. a floating leaf) to clear the top of the skimmer inlet, it should be fine. You only need about an inch of clearance beween the water line and the inlet lip which it looks like you do.

As for the overflow, it almost looks like it would still work but it is hard to tell. Obviously, the bottom of the overflow line needs to be above the water line and in the picture it looks close. You only need about an inch there as well so you might want to take some measurements.

In your area, I suspect you get a lot of rain so an overflow might be more valuable than an autofill but I'm not sure. I have both in my pool but we don't get a lot of rain so the overflow is hardly ever used but since we do have a lot of evaporation, the autofill is great thing to have.

The basic layout looks fine.

The tile should be nuts level.

1/2 to 1" of mud for coping. The coping base can flow/vary a bit to be level.

So I would expect that the coping will level your gap and the skimmer can bring the water in to serve it;s purpose. It is not uncommon for tile in the skimmers not to be 100% the same.

FLA Rider said:
Is my PB correct or is he full of BS. I think he put the skimmer to low in the deck but this is what he told me in an email. I measured down 3" from the and used a level to draw a pencil line around the skimmer opening. Also you got 11/2" to 2" from the bottom of the skimmer to the bottom of the tile. I'm not sure how or if he is going to correct that.
I'm not to happy at this time with my PB

Marc

Hey Mark, how did this turn out? My skimmer is almost exactly in the position you show yours. They had to raise the wall up about 2 1/4" to get the level right with my existing patio (which my PB can't recall discussing before we signed). THey set the skimmer before it was realized they needed to raise the walls.

I want the job done right, especially since I will be paying an unforseen $2500 extra to raise the walls.

7491884636_a497b538fe.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.