Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Cover - What Size?

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Cover - What Size?

After deciding to risk leaving my 18' Intex metal frame up all winter, I need some help. What size winter cover should I get? I wasn't sure if I should get an 18' cover or if I will need a bigger one since the water level is so low. Also, how many and what size pillows should I get? Thanks!!!
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Winter Cover - What Size?

Hey there

While I have ~ no practical experience with the Intex pools, I'll tell you what I'd do for a, more permanent, AG pool.

I'd blow up and tether an 8' pillow in the center of the pool (failing to find an 8' - I'd use 2 4 or 5' pillows tied together) The pillow will help keep stress off the toprail/ walls and push water and debris out to the edges for easier removal.

A normal 18' cover has enough 'extra' to allow for the water being lowered to below the return and still have ~ 4" overlap to secure it to the sides. However, if you want to go with the next size up cover, it can't hurt anything

If it's feasible, try to remove any debris and all but 1- 2" of the water before the pool freezes (air pillows can pop and covers can rip over the winter) you spent time and effort to clean the pool prior to covering it, let's not waste that if something goes wrong with the cover before you open the pool

I hope you have a great winter and that we'll see you back here next spring (if not before, winter's a great time to chat with the members still here and research some new things to try next pool season! )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)