Noob can't figure out backwashing

Oct 17, 2010
We just got this house with a pool about two weeks ago. I've learned so much from this forum. But backwashing has got me confused. I've read the web, YouTubed, Googled, etc. but none of those situations seem to fit mine - specifically, where does the dirty water exit? Would you please take a look at my pictures (sorry about phone camera) and give some guidance on how to backwash? I have attached a front (1st pic) and back view (2nd pic). Oh, the pipe going to the ground has water coursing through it when the filter is running - well all three pipes are live when filter is on.

The equipment is a Jacuzzi TM-22 multi-port valve, a Jacuzzi Sand Storm filter, and SWG. Our property is on a septic tank - certainly this system wasn't set up to discharge to septic?[attachment=0:2srl8nb4]Pool_01.jpg[/attachment:2srl8nb4]
[attachment=1:2srl8nb4]Pool_02.JPG[/attachment:2srl8nb4]

Attachments

• Pool_02.JPG
    Pool_02.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Pool_01.jpg
    Pool_01.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 80
Welcome to TFP.

On pic #2 look at the clear bubble on the side of the valve. That pipe is your backwash line. There shouldn't be any water going through that line except when in the backwash mode or in winterize setting. You are shutting the pump off before switching it aren't you?

Thanks Dave,

Correct, there is no water visible through that bubble/sight glass when filter is on. I have not yet moved the selector to backwash mode and I will turn off the pump before doing so. What's next: do I just twist that bubble out and insert the male end of a garden hose or is there a special fitting to be used?

fathom39 said:
. What's next: do I just twist that bubble out and insert the male end of a garden hose or is there a special fitting to be used?

No. In the first picture, the pipe labeled "to ground" is the pipe where the backwashed water comes out. That pipe should run underground to someplace. Where ever the end of that pipe goes, thats where the backwash water will end up. Like Dave said, that pipe should have no water in it unless the filter is set to Backwash, Rinse, or Waste. When the multiport valve is set to Filter, no water should be running through that "to ground" line.

OK, that makes sense. I guess I'll find out shortly where the waste goes, or not. Maybe it was just vibration when I felt and listened to the pipe yesterday. I'll stop/start the pump once more and observe that nothing is flowing through the sight glass. Then, do the backwash routine, watching the glass for the water to go from dirty to clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.