Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob can't figure out backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob can't figure out backwashing

We just got this house with a pool about two weeks ago. I've learned so much from this forum. But backwashing has got me confused. I've read the web, YouTubed, Googled, etc. but none of those situations seem to fit mine - specifically, where does the dirty water exit? Would you please take a look at my pictures (sorry about phone camera) and give some guidance on how to backwash? I have attached a front (1st pic) and back view (2nd pic). Oh, the pipe going to the ground has water coursing through it when the filter is running - well all three pipes are live when filter is on.

The equipment is a Jacuzzi TM-22 multi-port valve, a Jacuzzi Sand Storm filter, and SWG. Our property is on a septic tank - certainly this system wasn't set up to discharge to septic?[attachment=0:2srl8nb4]Pool_01.jpg[/attachment:2srl8nb4]
    [attachment=1:2srl8nb4]Pool_02.JPG[/attachment:2srl8nb4]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob can't figure out backwashing

Welcome to TFP.

On pic #2 look at the clear bubble on the side of the valve. That pipe is your backwash line. There shouldn't be any water going through that line except when in the backwash mode or in winterize setting. You are shutting the pump off before switching it aren't you?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave,

Correct, there is no water visible through that bubble/sight glass when filter is on. I have not yet moved the selector to backwash mode and I will turn off the pump before doing so. What's next: do I just twist that bubble out and insert the male end of a garden hose or is there a special fitting to be used?
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fathom39
    . What's next: do I just twist that bubble out and insert the male end of a garden hose or is there a special fitting to be used?
    No. In the first picture, the pipe labeled "to ground" is the pipe where the backwashed water comes out. That pipe should run underground to someplace. Where ever the end of that pipe goes, thats where the backwash water will end up. Like Dave said, that pipe should have no water in it unless the filter is set to Backwash, Rinse, or Waste. When the multiport valve is set to Filter, no water should be running through that "to ground" line.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, that makes sense. I guess I'll find out shortly where the waste goes, or not. Maybe it was just vibration when I felt and listened to the pipe yesterday. I'll stop/start the pump once more and observe that nothing is flowing through the sight glass. Then, do the backwash routine, watching the glass for the water to go from dirty to clear.