No Sump Pump - New Inground Pool Installation

Oct 15, 2010
So I decided on a very reputable company here in the west-end of Toronto to install my inground pool. They are almost complete and we have been very pleased with their work. However, my neighbour, who went with another company, pointed out that we do not have a sump pump and this contractor would never install a pool without one.

When I asked my pool contractor about it, his reply was that since we have no ground water pressure, there is no need for a sump pump. I do believe him as the quality of his work has been good and we have other friends who have used them.

What do I make of this? I couldn't help but notice that 3 other pools that were installed on our street all have sump pumps.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

PJStyles

A well point is usually only installed if they hit ground water while digging the hole for your pool. If there was no water when they dug, then your ok. :goodjob:

Trust your pool guy, alot of times ill be doing a job for someone and the "neighbor" or the "guy from work" says his pool guy did it like this, or i shoud be doing this way and it gets frustrating. Not all jobs/pools are the same.. and if you have noticed the quality of his work then im sure you have nothing to worry about :-D

I don't have a sump pump installed in my pool either but there is a weeping tile tube under a cover on the deck if it was ever a problem where I could connect a pump to lower the water table under the pool.

...but since the pool is now 19 years old and has never required pumping and my house is only 10 feet away with its own weeping tile system and sump pump I doubt it would be an issue as I am sure my house weeping tile is much deeper than the pools.

Its not a bad idea and I understand why they do it but I don't think its necessary, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, unless you live on flat land, there can be more than a 10-20ft difference in grade from property to property. For example, my yard is about 20ft higher than my neighbor across the street....they experience moisture in their basement and have a sump in the basement and ours is bone dry with no sump pump required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.