Please help me choose a pool surface type...

As for the cons... What if we are ok with white (they do color though), the fiberglass pool we choose is large enough, and is a style that we want? Would you still choose vinyl and why?

X-PertPool said:
There are a few fiberglass pools in the northeast. They have some definite pros and cons.
Pros -
they are seamless and smooth so dirt just usually ends up on the bottom (no seams for dirt to collect in like vinyl)
the finish lasts a long time if taken care of
cons
i've only seen them come in white, so i hope you like white
they tend to be smaller than some other pools since they are once piece they have to be transported by flatbed
you are locked into the styles that they sell, you can't really customize a shape
I have seen some lifting out of the ground (a few inches) and small cracks and blistering look like a pain to try to fix and match without it looking like a patched area.

I'm trying to justify the extra cost of fiberglass here, so far I have not seen it just yet. The fiberglass pools we have had quoted, are large enough and the shape we want though. Cracks can occur and both fiberglass installers said if installed right should not be a problem. The warranty against cracks is 25 years or longer depending on the brand. If it does crack they will fix it. Seems reasonable.

Currently working on a CAD drawing of the backyard so I can start do drop these pools in and see how they fit with our decking plans, landscaping, etc.

The bashing has slowed down, but we will see how it gets as I choose a pool surface and narrow down from there.

Why did you decide to get a pool installed? Wife and kids period. Not too worried about resale, unless a certain type could lower the value of my house? Not allow AG pools in our sub.

Did you already owned a pool before, or taken care of one? No, but parents did as a kid. I went through pool school, remember. I likely know more than the sales guys already. I will worry about the pump, SWG, etc, later. I want to pick a pool surface first...

What do you expect from your new pool? For kids playing, entertaining, and relaxing.
- From what I see you want your pool in the front yard. This is the backyard, 10ft garage door is for the boat. My toy...

The new liner = new pool is a nice thought...

Thanks for your help!

Darkside of the Pool said:
[quote="X-PertPool":3vrl0aed]
cons
i've only seen them come in white, so i hope you like white
they tend to be smaller than some other pools since they are once piece they have to be transported by flatbed
you are locked into the styles that they sell, you can't really customize a shape
I have seen some lifting out of the ground (a few inches) and small cracks and blistering look like a pain to try to fix and match without it looking like a patched area.

We only sell Vinyl here, but:
- Tend to be smaller: You have dimensions in mind. They can't make it, too bad for them.
- Locked into styles that they sell: Kidney and Oval are pretty standard, and make looking for a cover that much easier.
- Lifting out and small cracks: Go see some of the installer's work. Pools that have a few years.

Now what I would recommend: Draw a plan of your house, as seen from above, to scale. Pool included. Tell each one of them you absolutely don't want a pool from their competitor but that you want to be absolutely sure about your project before going forward. That you need to see how it'll look in a few years. Tell them the concerns you might or might not have: test them if you feel the need. If you're comfortable, jump in.

If they still bash the competition and don't come up with real arguments, flee the premises immediately (''You know what, nevermind, you convinced me to go see them directly.''). [EDIT] And P-LEASE interrupt the guy in his speech. It might sound rude but you don't want to waste the next half-an-hour speaking of something he cannot sell you. In the long run, he might even benefit (learn) from it. If he doesn't, well, that's a shame.[/END EDIT]

This is the kind of situation a good salesman (not those you describe) would actually help. Asking a few questions, analyzing your needs (both factual and emotionnal) and offering you the good product for the good reasons:

Why did you decide to get a pool installed?
- Added value, keeping the kids home, exercises... This can really influence the pool shape you'll need. If you want to do lenghts to help your cardio, a 'round pool won't be of much help. If kids are older, a rectangular or oval pool might allow a net for aquatic sports...

Did you already owned a pool before, or taken care of one? (And if so, how did you took care of it?)
- This will help a lot the salesperson to focus on your need. By telling your likes and dislikes, and how much you know (and are willing to do) about taking care of a pool might serves you. For exemple, I wouldn't survive without a main drain for one.

What do you expect from your new pool?
- From what I see you want your pool in the front yard. That means might not want anyone to see the state of your pool. So you might need an hard, automated cover or something if you tend to have a lot of guests: Miscalculate your chlorine demand and that water will be murky white for a day or two.
- Want it for sports or personnal training? If you're gonna get the pool painted, might as well get some marks painted, either goal zone or to certain lenghts depending on the needs. Even if the pool's vinyl, discuss with your salesperson, they make the liners one by one, MAYBE they could get a pattern for you (I doubt it, but when you'll ask, the worst you'll get is a puzzled look and a no.)
- A nice relaxing zone? Maybe a smaller pool with a nice clear area for just the right furniture will suit you better. And with the money saved, an heat pump/SWCG could work wonders. Some surfaces might work better than others with the style you want to give to your pool. Salesperson have to adapt to your needs. ****, it's a 30 grands investment you do, salesperson might be doing 450$ or more out of this, make him work for it!
- Not to mention 10-15 years before selling. If I was a Vinyl Pool salesman (which I am not, sadly), I'd use the opportunity to sell the idea of replacing the liner a year or less before putting the house for sale. Even with the liner replacement, total cost should be lower than the two others and your pool will look brand new, adding to the pool value. That's my point of view anyways.

Being cheaper and more standard have perks as noted before. Replacement should be cheaper too, more people doing vinyl so you can bargain when (and if) a new liner is needed. Spare money can be spend on things that will increase your comfort (and if the one selling the pool sell those, like we do, you might get a discount or something): Heat Pump, Robotic cleaners, SWCG, hard covers, automated systems, a fence, safety cover, liquid chlorine dispenser, an awning, a patio furniture set... you name it!

Hope it helped.
And sorry for the text wall.[/quote:3vrl0aed]

You are very welcome...also note that if you decide to go vinyl, you can opt for a borderless (ie no fake tile) pattern liner. I know someone here posted a pic of theirs and it actually made the pool look deeper/larger IMO.

I am a fairly new pool owner; before buying my own, I took care of my parents pool for 10yrs. Both are gunite, 20+yrs old. I like the feeling of solidity and permanency of gunite... but it's just a feeling. My folks let the water chems get out of hand once I moved out, and are now looking at a $10k refurbishment.

If I was building, I'd go with vinyl. The technology is well known, replacement liners are not insanely expensive, water chems are a bit easier, and they can sure look nice. They still carry a bit of a "cheap' stigma, but they've come a long way and are now the preferred option in many areas.

With a budget of $40k you should be able to install a VERY nice vinyl pool with good equipment, nice tile, fence, landscape, grill, cabana, lights, whatever else. I'm sure you thought of it already, but a fair number of folks blow their pool budget on just the pool, and neglect the rest of the landscaping to make it fit in & look finished.

A word on tiling & deck: that's a huge subject all on it's own, do the research to get a surface that'll look as you want, have the durability and slip resistance you want. Some folks choose a product that looks good, then come to find out it's not durable, or slippery as glass when wet. That can be an expensive mistake.

The liner patterns you posted look great; the heavy patterns on some liners look rather cheap imho...

Best of luck, it'll be fun! keep us posted.

thanks... new to the site and was being lazy. Sorry. That does look very nice. All the wrinkle issues from the thread linked inside that one were a little scary though. Also, I wonder if vinyl or colored fiberglass would fade easier?

dmanb2b said:
mschmidt33 said:
If you know where the post is, please let me know...
:eek:
Mike

dmanb2b said:
You are very welcome...also note that if you decide to go vinyl, you can opt for a borderless (ie no fake tile) pattern liner. I know someone here posted a pic of theirs and it actually made the pool look deeper/larger IMO.

Search function is your friend :goodjob:

Found it...

full-print-no-border-ig-vinyl-liner-t26324.html?hilit=vinyl liner border

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No need for apology...I was just pointing out the search function in case you catch us on a lazy day :oops: Anyhow, my opinion is that all pools have their pros/cons and folks have different tastes. Either of the 3 pool types will serve you well...the designs are proven and have been around for many years. I think if you get a chance to see examples of each builder's work, that will help you decide what looks best to you :goodjob: $40k should yield you a very nice pool regardless if it is vinyl or fiberglass.

Not sure if you saw this link on our homepage as well and is definately a must read to ensure you cover the basics in choosing a builder

pool-school/picking_a_pool_builder

I have traditional white plaster with tile border, so I will only comment on that.
I really like it and it is my preference. My preference is for a white or close to white pool surface also.
I have no problems managing my calcium levels....especially with the SWG.
Scaling was an issue with the prior owner as they didn't manage their water chemistry well. So I had the tile sand blasted and now looks good as new. White plaster can get some temporary stains from leaves and organic debris, but you don't do anything with them....the chlorine removes them with time.

Personally my feet like feeling a solid hard plaster surface over a vinyl one. I feel better when the kids take certain toys into the pool that the plaster will hold up to any strange things they might do to it.

Just my 2 cents.

Lee

So I was under the wrong impression. To me this is a big turn off as no matter what pattern there is... it is fake. Seems cheap to me. Just a little bummed because i was looking forward to these vinyl quotes. We should get our first back this week. If it is not a substantial savings I think we are going to go with fiberglass.

bk406 said:
mschmidt33 said:
Maybe I was wrong but I thought you could put tile on a vinyl pool? Let me know...

You dont tile the water line with a liner pool.

Hey...I happen to like the fake blue boulders on my liner, thank you :rant:

Kidding aside...everyone has their own taste and you are entitled to you own opinion, just remember that borderless is also an option and compliments stone coping, etc quite well. Last time I checked, I didn't think you could tile a fiberglass pool either :scratch:

Sorry if I insulted anyone... as for tiling fiberglass, this is one of the things that all the contractors were quoting. I did go look at one as well and it looked very nice. Perhaps I should look at some liner options before jumping the gun. Anyone have links to a good site with plenty of choices?

dmanb2b said:
Hey...I happen to like the fake blue boulders on my liner, thank you :rant:

Kidding aside...everyone has their own taste and you are entitled to you own opinion, just remember that borderless is also an option and compliments stone coping, etc quite well. Last time I checked, I didn't think you could tile a fiberglass pool either :scratch:

mschmidt33 said:
Sorry if I insulted anyone... as for tiling fiberglass, this is one of the things that all the contractors were quoting

Nah...we're a pretty tough bunch. Here is another link for some vinyl ideas...this guy just recently built my friends gunite pool, but also does high end vinyl installs, and has a pretty large outfit in the hamptons on LI

http://www.jackanthony.com/pools/pools.asp?type=4

If you happen to have any pics of those fiberglass pools with a tile border, I'd love to check that out. It will be a few years, but I'll be going through this same process you are when we move again :goodjob:

Not all fiberglass pools are just white. Below is a pic of the color of mine. It's kind of a blue speckled texture (I believe they called it crystalite). It does have tile on the waterline. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the tile and the pool is covered up for the winter :(
IMG00051-20100705-1829.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.