Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to close 8 inch raised hottub??

1. Back To Top    #1

how to close 8 inch raised hottub??

They did the pool good, drained it 2 inches below skimmer and screwed the plugs in the return jets, But i'm worried about the hottub.

how to close 8 inch raised hottub??

Bought my pool in the summer, this is how they closed the hottub, they left the water inside and covered it with a tarp, as you can see in the picture. I live in michigan, freezing cold. the pool closers said don't worry about??

what is the proper way of closing a hottub as you see in the picture? should i drain it?

help much appreciated. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to close 8 inch raised hottub??

Is the hottub fiberglass or granite?
    They should have at least drained below the jets.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

3. Back To Top    #3

it is fiberglass, should it be drained? is there any chance it can pop out? worried about the jets and the return drain.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

anyone else?

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't help you, but my gut feeling is that's a really lousy closing job. Looks like the cover doesn't fit correctly either. Hopefully someone who can help will comment.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

I've got lots of experience with the set-up you have and think I can offer some help.

It's always hard to get a cover to fully seal around an above deck structure Your guys didn't even try to have a cover made that would do the spa and the pool (this is NOT a bad thing!) However, they also didn't include the spa when they ordered the cover, leaving you with a gap on either side of the spa . It's easy enough to go get a couple watertubes to fill the gaps

It looks like they used an AG cover for the spa. Again, that's fine. As long as they blew and plugged the jets and fill line - you shouldn't have any trouble. Also, I've had a few spas, like yours, float on me - if they were drained and the 'ground water' got too high, so I think that they were being responsible in not lowering the water any further.

I'm here most every day, if you have any questions about what I've said
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)