Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG scale build up after 1 week

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG scale build up after 1 week

I have a new SWG and have been running it for only 1 week. I haven't taken any pictures but the electrodes are completely coated with calcium scale (probably greater that 1/16th of an inch). Unfortunately there are no pool stores to get test results and the only available pool test kits are a HTH 4-way test kit and a strip test for CYA. Next time someone visits us this way I hope to get a proper test kit, but in the meantime this is all I have.

PH - 7.6
    FC - 1.5
    TA - 100
    CH - no way to test
    Salt - Aprox 6000 PPM based on salt added (no way to test here)

According to the manufacturer of my SWG I should clean my electrodes so I did that today. But I dont want to do that weekly.
    Any ideas? Thanks again for all the help..
    Danny
    16,000 gallon pool, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, solar panels, In Ground Plaster with SWG. Living in the southern hemisphere in the "cold" part of Africa in Lesotho.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG scale build up after 1 week

If the scale is that bad, I would disconnect the SWG until you can test for Calcium.

Or just drain and replace 50% of the water.
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

3. Back To Top    #3

Was the SWCG brand new? any chances of being used before?
    Inground with 7x7 spa (spillover)
    20k gal plaster (sunstone)
    pentair 3/4 hp (filter), 1 hp (spa), 1/2 hp (features)
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40
    Polaris Platinum (with booster)

4. Back To Top    #4

Which model salt system do you have? Some models do not have the self cleaning, reverse polarity feature, and requires you to manually acid wash the cell as a routine procedure.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5

cleaning them every week is normal for non-reverse polarity units, and it sounds like you have one of those

6. Back To Top    #6

It is a local unit made in South Africa. Justchlor brand. It is not a self cleaning unit. From talking with them it sounded like something I would have to to do once every four to six weeks, and that is why I was really surprised after one week.
    Thanks for the help.
    16,000 gallon pool, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, solar panels, In Ground Plaster with SWG. Living in the southern hemisphere in the "cold" part of Africa in Lesotho.

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

Danny

Here is a link to the manufacturers website
    It has information on the correct water chemistry to use with this system as well as proper use and service information.

http://www.justchlor.co.za/images/stori ... Manual.pdf

Lower your PH to 7.2 and your TA to slow the calcium scaling on your equipment.

You can lower PH and TA with muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid). You can get an estimate of the amount of acid to use with The Pool Calculator. Let the pump run for about 30 minutes after adding acid before testing the PH and TA again.

Are you able to purchase Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) in your area?

To remove severe scale:

Turn off the Pump power supply which feeds the chlorinator.
    • Unscrew the electrode from the housing - cables intact.
    • Place the electrode in a pool acid/Water solution of 1:10, this being 1 part Acid and
    10 parts Water. Do not submerse the entire electrode with electrical wire connections
    into the solution, as this will damage the connections and void the Warranty. Only the
    electrode plates containing the calcium deposits must be submersed.
    • Any stronger solution will damage the coating on the electrode and void the Warranty.
    • Do not leave the electrode in the acid solution for prolonged period of time as the
    same effect will be realized.
    • Once this process is completed re-install the element assembly into the housing,
    ensuring the lid seal is in place and the lid is tightened but not over tightened
    • Restart the pump.
    • Check the Output meter reading for needle position.
    • Remember to test the salt content of the water as described earlier

You can store and reuse the acid wash several times. Just store it in a tightly closed, well marked container safe from children.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help. Hydrochloric is one of the things we can get locally so that works well. I cleaned it last weekend and it is ready to clean again. Just wish there was a way to check CH locally. Will have to see about buying a good test kit next time somebody comes this way from the States.
    Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

I just installed a small 1000GPH 24hr. circulation pump in addition to my main 1 HP pump ala some new Spa's have these for 24hr filtering. Well Iv'e been running an Inte3x SWG for months no prob. Now with the low speed pump the cell got tons of deposits in ONE week. I had not needed to ever clean the cell before this running with a 1hp and 2 HP pump. I believe ble is caused by the lower flow. You may be a victim of the same thing. Try a faster pump if you can and see if the cell stays cleaner in a weeks period.
    I'm going to start a new thread about this. FWIW the 24hr pump job is done by a Intex 1000GPH pump, one listed for my very SWG.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, a lower flow rate will create less dilution of the very high pH water near the hydrogen gas generation plate. If there were a way to turn down the output rate of the SWG, that would help, but it doesn't work that way -- one can only turn down the percentage on-time, not the generation rate.

The use of 50 ppm Borates would likely help to additionally buffer the pH, especially against the rise in pH that is what you are trying to avoid. Having the saturation index slightly negative (say, -0.2 or so) would also help a little.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Chem Geek, thanks for responding, I didn't mention that there is alot of bubbling gas/air? coming from the pool return closest to the equip slab, It's an inground pool so i can only make the assumtion that that return is fed first. The flow is quite low with the 1000GPH pump at its feeding 5 returns, some don't feel like anything is coming out even.
    Using the 1hp or 2hp pump I never notices any bubbles from any return but i was not looking for any.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

13. Back To Top    #13

As mentioned before, the SWG will produce hydrogen gas, which will bubble out from the returns. If it is the SWG, the bubbles should go away when the SWG is off. If you are getting bubbles when the SWG is off, something else is going on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

The SWG will generate roughly the same amount of chlorine and hydrogen gasses per unit time, but with a lower flow rate that means those concentrations will be higher when coming out of the returns. So the chlorine concentration will be higher and the amount of hydrogen gas bubbles will be greater as a proportion of water volume. Though the total amount of gas flowing out of the returns is the same, it will seem like more since the bubbles will likely be larger so be more visible.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

I gave up on running the small pump and now just run my 1 HP pump, it's gotten warmer here, now the scale is terrible, I get fault lights and have to clean the cell every 4-5 days. I'll start a new thread and post pics and numbers on it. I've search alot here on the board in the last few days and can't find anyone else with scale on their cell problems, I tried seversl differt words for searches, no luck
    EDIT: with the temp rise in water, a TA of 160, a ph of 7.6, and a ch of 250 it was my csi that was the problem , droped the TA to 70 and even with 82 deg water I have no buildup anymore!

16. Back To Top    #16

The scale is likely from over-saturation of calcium carbonate. Higher temperature increases the saturation index. Have you done a full set of tests and calculated the saturation index in The Pool Calculator?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Yes, a lower flow rate will create less dilution of the very high pH water near the hydrogen gas generation plate. If there were a way to turn down the output rate of the SWG, that would help, but it doesn't work that way -- one can only turn down the percentage on-time, not the generation rate.
    depends on the unit

Autochlor AC/RP/Commercial range actually controls the output, not the percentage on-time