Rheem Heater problem. Code HL1

dmanb2b said:
HL1 = High limit switch #1 open

Sorry, but have no clue what the fix is :scratch: High temp sensor may just require a cleaning or replacement if bad.

Thanks, I finally found the Manuel online. Man does their website suck, and could not find what it meant either. Just went back out 30 min now after it threw that code and it started right up. So you might be right about a high temp sensor. :whoot: Really hoping its nothing big as I just spent 600 bucks replacing the pump and plumbing. :rant:

If the Hi-limit switch reset, and the heater came back on, the problem probably isn't the high-limit. The high limit is probably tripping (like it should) from excessive heat in the header. You can check the thermal by-pass, or the pressure/mechanical by-pass. You could also have an excessive build up of scale in the exchanger. If it has only happened once, it could be the scale. If left alone, you will probably experience the hi- limit begining to trip more often as the scale begins to build up more.

Pool Clown said:
If the Hi-limit switch reset, and the heater came back on, the problem probably isn't the high-limit. The high limit is probably tripping (like it should) from excessive heat in the header. You can check the thermal by-pass, or the pressure/mechanical by-pass. You could also have an excessive build up of scale in the exchanger. If it has only happened once, it could be the scale. If left alone, you will probably experience the hi- limit begining to trip more often as the scale begins to build up more.

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!! So it sounds like I just need to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and go from there?

When HL1 is present, it usually indicates insufficient water flow through put. There is a spring loaded bypass diverter in the header may be the culprit. If the heater cycles on to off after a few minutes, it's where I would look.
As Ryahn suggests, scale is another possible.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
When HL1 is present, it usually indicates insufficient water flow through put. There is a spring loaded bypass diverter in the header may be the culprit. If the heater cycles on to off after a few minutes, it's where I would look.
As Ryahn suggests, scale is another possible.

Scott

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the help. :cheers: I'm going to look into it tomorrow when its light outside.

Ryanh1801 said:
Thank you sooooo much!!!!!! So it sounds like I just need to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and go from there?

If you have scaling in the exchanger, you will need to remove it with a hone or, if bad, a drill. Don't let this continue! Once i had a heater where the owner let this happen for months (heater banging) and by the time he called me (not till the heater would not fire and run but for a min or so), one exchanger tube had over heated so bad, that it bowed, and i couldn't run a drill thru it. New bundle... :hammer:

Be sure to check all the tubes as this scaling condition may only occur in one tube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.