Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rheem Heater problem. Code HL1

1. Back To Top    #1

Rheem Heater problem. Code HL1

What does this code mean? And how do I fix it?

Thanks Ryan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rheem Heater problem. Code HL1

HL1 = High limit switch #1 open

Sorry, but have no clue what the fix is High temp sensor may just require a cleaning or replacement if bad.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    HL1 = High limit switch #1 open

Sorry, but have no clue what the fix is High temp sensor may just require a cleaning or replacement if bad.

Thanks, I finally found the Manuel online. Man does their website suck, and could not find what it meant either. Just went back out 30 min now after it threw that code and it started right up. So you might be right about a high temp sensor. Really hoping its nothing big as I just spent 600 bucks replacing the pump and plumbing.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If the Hi-limit switch reset, and the heater came back on, the problem probably isn't the high-limit. The high limit is probably tripping (like it should) from excessive heat in the header. You can check the thermal by-pass, or the pressure/mechanical by-pass. You could also have an excessive build up of scale in the exchanger. If it has only happened once, it could be the scale. If left alone, you will probably experience the hi- limit begining to trip more often as the scale begins to build up more.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    If the Hi-limit switch reset, and the heater came back on, the problem probably isn't the high-limit. The high limit is probably tripping (like it should) from excessive heat in the header. You can check the thermal by-pass, or the pressure/mechanical by-pass. You could also have an excessive build up of scale in the exchanger. If it has only happened once, it could be the scale. If left alone, you will probably experience the hi- limit begining to trip more often as the scale begins to build up more.

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!! So it sounds like I just need to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and go from there?

6. Back To Top    #6

When HL1 is present, it usually indicates insufficient water flow through put. There is a spring loaded bypass diverter in the header may be the culprit. If the heater cycles on to off after a few minutes, it's where I would look.
    As Ryahn suggests, scale is another possible.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    When HL1 is present, it usually indicates insufficient water flow through put. There is a spring loaded bypass diverter in the header may be the culprit. If the heater cycles on to off after a few minutes, it's where I would look.
    As Ryahn suggests, scale is another possible.

Scott

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the help. I'm going to look into it tomorrow when its light outside.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh1801

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!! So it sounds like I just need to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and go from there?
    If you have scaling in the exchanger, you will need to remove it with a hone or, if bad, a drill. Don't let this continue! Once i had a heater where the owner let this happen for months (heater banging) and by the time he called me (not till the heater would not fire and run but for a min or so), one exchanger tube had over heated so bad, that it bowed, and i couldn't run a drill thru it. New bundle...

Be sure to check all the tubes as this scaling condition may only occur in one tube.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.