Brushing PebbleTech with SS brush

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
Hello;
I noticed what looked like two small spots of black algae on the top wedding cake step. Brushing with my regular nylon brush would not remove the spots, so I purchased a small stainless steel brush. This removed the two small spots. As I was brushing I noticed a white cloud rising from the brush. Two questions:

1. Will the SS brush damage the PebbleTech finish?
2. If not should I brush the entire pool with the SS brush?

Thank You,
Donald

The SS brush will not harm the PebbleTec. It is a great brush for the entire pool also, if you choose to use it.

Here's an observation for you: I have noticed that PebbleTec (and all exposed rock finishes, for that matter) seem to grow black algae if the pH is allowed to stay too high for too long. Are you keeping an eye on your pH? PebbleTec seems to like to spike the pH more than plaster finishes (the thought is that more PebbleTec pools do so because they tend to have more aeration from waterfalls and spas, as with the higher end finish comes more "pool goodies" that aerate), so you definitely want to keep an eye on that. As you know, you can get rid of it, but it is nice to not get it in the first place!

I keep track of my pH. As I have a salt pool, I usually run the pH at 7.6 +- 0.5 pH. I have an electronic pH meter. I really do not have all that much aeration, one single stream which does not run most of the time.
It might be scale, however my CSI is about -0.2 and I carefully maintain it there. No scaling on the salt cell either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.