Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushing PebbleTech with SS brush

1. Back To Top    #1

Brushing PebbleTech with SS brush

Hello;
    I noticed what looked like two small spots of black algae on the top wedding cake step. Brushing with my regular nylon brush would not remove the spots, so I purchased a small stainless steel brush. This removed the two small spots. As I was brushing I noticed a white cloud rising from the brush. Two questions:

1. Will the SS brush damage the PebbleTech finish?
    2. If not should I brush the entire pool with the SS brush?

Thank You,
    Donald
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brushing PebbleTech with SS brush

The SS brush will not harm the PebbleTec. It is a great brush for the entire pool also, if you choose to use it.

Here's an observation for you: I have noticed that PebbleTec (and all exposed rock finishes, for that matter) seem to grow black algae if the pH is allowed to stay too high for too long. Are you keeping an eye on your pH? PebbleTec seems to like to spike the pH more than plaster finishes (the thought is that more PebbleTec pools do so because they tend to have more aeration from waterfalls and spas, as with the higher end finish comes more "pool goodies" that aerate), so you definitely want to keep an eye on that. As you know, you can get rid of it, but it is nice to not get it in the first place!

3. Back To Top    #3

Any chance you have scale on your pebbletec? Brushing scale in my pool gives me a nice little white cloud.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep track of my pH. As I have a salt pool, I usually run the pH at 7.6 +- 0.5 pH. I have an electronic pH meter. I really do not have all that much aeration, one single stream which does not run most of the time.
    It might be scale, however my CSI is about -0.2 and I carefully maintain it there. No scaling on the salt cell either.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.