Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blowing out main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Blowing out main drain

Hi all,

When blowing out the main drain how do you know if an airlock has been achieved? I blow out the drain using a compressor, let it bubble for about 45 seconds, but after I close the valve I still get some bubbling here and there for a while. Is this normal or is the valve not closing properly perhaps? This is the first time I've closed the pool myself and I really don't want to screw it up

2. Back To Top    #2
    Montgomery County, PA

Re: Blowing out main drain

I think your OK. If you had a leaking value, you would be losing pressure and the weight of the water would force the air back into the pipes, instead of out of the drain.

I'm not an expert, so hopefully others will weigh in.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3

South Central NJ

Most drain lines run horizontally before going up. This section usually refloods untill the rise in the line is above the drain. An air lock will prevent any further water from entering the rising pipe. That elevation is typically well below the frost line by several feet.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick responses.

Gonna call it good and put the cover on.

Thanks again