Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool plaster color

1. Back To Top    #1

pool plaster color

i am about to build a new pool. i have narrowed it down to two builders, both say that its very costly to add color the plaster pool (so that it looks like the fancy brouchure pictures). both say it will fad and could also be uneven coloring during construction. any thoughts of suggestions from the group?

gg
    22000 gallon IGP, 820 sqft, SWG - IC60, infinity edge spa, Pentair Quad DE 100, 3 x Pentair Intelliflow 4x160 pumps (one for circulation + one for spa + one for sheer descents), spa with 8 jets + 4 leg jets, air blower, Pentair EasyTouch 8 remote, Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa, Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu heater, 4 sheer descents (2x2', 2x6'), limestone coping and decking, Pebblesheen Prism Blue

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool plaster color

Welcome to TFP...get more estimates. Yes it is more costly than white plaster but products such as pebble tec can well outlast plain plaster pool surfaces.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

From my recent (& limited) experience, the pool builders in NE FL normally include some basic color choices in their bids - at least those who use marbletite as the plaster. Darker mixes added $2-3k more for my size pool. Once completed, I've noticed some very minor variation where some of the additive was not mixed in uniformly, but it isn't noticible unless you are looking for minor flaws. I think I should have chosen a little more color to blue-up the water more (blustone w/ black or shappire - both no addl cost) but it is hard to really visualize the outcome. For us the extra $2k was better spent on the SWCG & sod!
    30' x 15' kidney shaped, 3.5-5.5 ft deep, wet-mix shotcrete inground, AutoPilot Digital SWG - RC35/22 cell, 36" main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dyna-Pro 1 HP, Sta-Rite 2 (PLM100) filter, Polaris 360 cleaner, Marbletite (Marquis/Bluestone), Screen enclosure

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I installed a new pool last year and used regular plaster colored with the same coloring mix they use for Peeble Tec. It looks amazing compared to the standard grey that many install. I used a color called Caribbean blue. I did all the other work on the pool (less concrete shell and plaster).

Every one that has seen the pool comments on the color and how nice it looks.

I bargained for a $500 up-charge for the color due to the soft market in pool building.

The color is all through the plaster and I do expect some spotting/ motting on the plaster, but personally I think that adds character or looks good and not like a plastic liner.

The plaster company I used does over 100's of high end plaster jobs a year here in New England.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by blakeusa
    The color is all through the plaster and I do expect some spotting/ motting on the plaster, but personally I think that adds character or looks good and not like a plastic liner.

Hey now...no need to put down all of us poor folk with "charachter lacking" vinyl liners

I don't think the below pools look that bad , but of course evryone is entitled to their own opinon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Seems I remember that for some colors, the installer can use sand that is the colorant in the plaster, rather than using a dye. I recall this being more expensive than the dyes, but tends to offer more consistent color throughout the surface. i.e. using black sand to achieve black plaster, or grey sand for grey plaster...
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.