where to put valves for hard piping?

My valves are right near the pump suction and the filter discharge but I wish they were near the skimmer and the return. It probably doesn't matter which end they're as long as you have them on each line. I'd recommend using full port valves too. Not the restricted valves you buy at Lowes or HD.

Mine are right after the skimmmer and before the return. I also have a whole other bunch of valves, but are there to support the on/off cycling of my solar panels.

Full port valves will say that on the description. Jandy, Pentair, Hayward style valves are all full port valves. It basically means that the hole through the valve is the same size (or larger) than the connecting piping when open.

Jeff74 said:
I see. What about unions? Should I use them and where?

You'll get differing opinons, but I used plenty of them (at every connection...eg. after skimmer valve, pump inlet, pump outlet, filter inlet, filter outlet, before the return valve.), makes winterizing and servicing the pump/filter a snap but some will argue it increases the risk of leaks, which is tru but is minimized by keeping the connections snug and o-rings lubed.

I vote for unions too. Use enough of them to be able to remove any piece of equipment without having to un-plumb it. I'd say 3 minimum. One before the pump, one between the pump and filter and one after the filter. One in the waste line if it's hard piped too. Ones near the skimmer and return are optional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.