AQUAFIN 2K/M Comments

Oct 18, 2010
Fannett Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Has anyone had their pool resurfaced using AQUAFIN 2K/M? A pool builder gave us a quote on resurfacing our pool and suggested we use it.

I just want to make sure we pick some thing so we aren't resurfacing in 10 years... 20 + years would be better.

Thanks!

What about the other products of the "pebble" kind, like pebble sheen and pebble fina? And how does the 3M Quartz hold up, or Beadcrete and Quartz Scape from NPT pool tiles and stone site?

Hopefully I am only going to do this once and not again for a long time, so I want to get it right.

Still am interested in what impressions (if any) the Aquafin has done for some people. It sounds like its good stuff that will hold up longer than the pebbletec. I have attached their brochure for the whole AQUAFIN-POOL line. The last page sums the advantages up into a comparison chart.

Pebble Sheen and Pebble Fina are both produced by the same company as Pebble Tec. The difference is assurance of a properly done installation, since you can't buy or apply any of the above products without going through training conducted by the manufacturer.

I've never heard of Aquafin before, and a quick search shows that it's a "cementitious acrylic emulsion" which I think means epoxy with some cement added. Based on reports posted elsewhere on this site, epoxy paints really aren't a good option. This seems to be a little different, more like a spray-on truck bedliner, and while it may work very well I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig. If you do decide to try it, make sure you let us know how it works!

If I do try it I will definitely let everyone know.

The one builder in my area says he's been using it for awhile and apparently has done so well with it that Aquafin uses the builder's installations as the pictures in thier brochures and site.

I have another builder coming to give me a quote, and they use the Pebble Tec line. Will have to see what they have to say also.

I used what I believe by definition is a similar product (Nitocote CM210 by Fosroc) on my inground pool.

It came as a two part product, a liquid and a powder that you mix together. Came as a thick paste that one can spray or paint on.

But I merely used it as an extra layer of protection against against leakage.

I applied it myself (went on as a dull grey) and then trowelled on Diamondbrite.

Aquafin is a waterproofing agent that is applied under a plaster finish to waterproof the gunite shell. It is not a stand alone product. It works well as it does not repel the plaster finish and provides another layer of protection from leaking.

Any of the three PebbleTec (Tec, Sheen or Fina) products are worth considering for longevity. 3M was discontinued last December and is no longer available (and for a reason!). The stuff sold at NPT is sold to any pool guy, and requires nothing from the purchaser by way of training. In other words, they are selling a product and don't care how it is applied or by who (I buy a lot from NPT, so I am not bashing them, just stating facts).

If you want a 10 year product, get plaster. Color adds (on average) $400-$500 per pool. If you want a longer life expectancy, and can afford PebbleTec, get it. It is worth the extra money and the training and company support, should you need it, down the line (BTW, I do not work for PebbleTec!).

simicrintz said:
Aquafin is a waterproofing agent that is applied under a plaster finish to waterproof the gunite shell. It is not a stand alone product.

Well the builder that has quoted me sure thinks its a stand alone finish... hummm now don't know what to believe. Not saying your wrong Simi, so please don't take offense. I know you are one of the more knowledgable on here from all your posts I have read. :mrgreen:

I have two other PB's coming to give me a quote and they use PebbleTec.

No offense taken, cyclrcr :-D I've been wrong before, although I seldom admit that to my wife :cool:

I went to the website you provided, and it does state there that it can be used as a stand alone finish or it can be painted. I guess I should say that out here we do not use it as a stand alone, but rather as a waterproofing layer beneath the finish product (plaster, Pebble, etc.). It has proven to be an excellent waterproofing product, and we use it often on vanishing edge walls and raised walls quite a bit to prevent water migration.

I have to remember that not everyone uses the same "finishes" or products on swimming pools as we do here (some folks use flex pipe, for example, but that's a whole 'nother story :shock: :cool: ). From the website, I can see that some folks could use it as the end product.

My apologies (and thank you for the link). In the end, I still think I would go with a more "traditional" finish like plaster or Pebble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No need for appologies Simi! :goodjob:

I am sooo "green" when it comes to pools. This is my family's first pool and unfortunately we are learning trial by fire since it's a 20-30 year old pool and some problems are just now showing up. I would assume that people who are building for the first time have the same anxiety that we are experiencing.

I really appreciate your and others input because of my lack of knowledge. I just wished I found this site in the begining of summer so I could have had a better game plan on how to deal with PB's and what I needed/wanted for this rehab. Like I said before, I am all for paying more now and getting it right the first time. This way our family can enjoy the pool for many years without headaches.

I would not recommend that you use 2KM as the finish material. I works great as a waterproofing material under tile or other finish, but not at the stand alone finish. We just did a pool this last summer where the owner wanted to use 2KM as the finish and it has turned in to a nightmare that has cost us more to fix than just building her a completly new pool.

The material is very difficult to work with as it relates to getting a smooth finish without trowel marks and it has a very short time frame in which to work the material before it set up to the point where a trowel will just pull it off the wall. Best comparison I have is that it is like troweling bubble gum.

If you go forward with the builder make sure you he takes the original surface off to bare concrete then applies 1 KM as the first coat before the 2 KM. In applications where there is a posssibility of moisture coming from the back side 1 KM is a must to stop it otherwise the 2 KM will just blister up and peel off.

Don't expect to get 20 years out of Aquafin, and I suspect 10 is also a long shot.

My opinion is that you will be much better off sticking with a product that was originally designed to be a pool surfacing material, which Aquafin was not.

Understandably your predicament I as contractor with more than 100,000 Sf of that product installed must say that it is probably by far the worst choice as a standalone finish for a swimming pool, its rough finish makes it prompt for staining, color deterioration algae growth, delamination problems and increased maintenance costs.

As a contractor I must say that as waterproofing membrane to be used under plaster, DiamondBrite and other finishes works great but as a finish product it has become my worst nightmare.

My advice is... stay away from it, if you need further info email me I will send you pictures of how a Beautiful job looks just after one year.

Probably my comment is kind of late for some but for future reference keep it in mind. I happen to be perhaps the most experienced applicator of Aquafin in Puerto Rico to this date. I have used 1k and IC in over 200,000 SF in water cisterns and 2KM in over 100,000 SF of surfaces in swimming pools and fountains and my experience is that 2KM doesn’t stands the test of time.
Within the first year of use it either disintegrates or delaminates and it shows efflorescence all over. The feedback from the pool maintenance guys… their worst nightmare.
Unfortunately after contacting the Distributor in Puerto Rico and the Manufacturer their response is the same “incorrect application” even though me being their Distributor’s source of advice in terms of application of this material in my area. They refuse to perform forensic testing of the material.
Sure enough we stop using their materials. I see the relationship between Manufacturers-Distributor-Contractors should be like a partnership with a win-win approach… we contractors help them introduce new products but they shall be committed to stand behind their materials and this is not the case with this Manufacturer. You don’t need your jobs to come back to haunt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.