Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Covers

I've been reading a few threads about which solar cover works best, and I've decided on trying the clear instead of blue next season. intheswim.com has clear with a silver backing and Leslie's has traditional blue. Where are you guys finding clear and who has the best price? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bill
    23K IG vinyl, Autopilot SWG, 1 HP Aqua-Flo Dominator Pump, 30" Cooper Ranger series sand filter, 1 skimmer, 3 jets, 2 fountains, 2 main drains.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Here is a link I saved for when I need a new one. Probably found it through this forum... not sure.
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool-covers/
    Scroll down toward the end of the page, and then choose round, oval, or rectangle.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 16x32 clear from

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool-cov ... e12mil.htm

i was impressed with how well built it is...seems a bit heavier duty than my previous covers...
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm sure 12 mm is thicker than the one I have currently. Have you noticed a difference in heat retension vs. the traditional blue stlye? (Of course, that assumes you've used the blue kind in the past )
    23K IG vinyl, Autopilot SWG, 1 HP Aqua-Flo Dominator Pump, 30" Cooper Ranger series sand filter, 1 skimmer, 3 jets, 2 fountains, 2 main drains.

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, most definitely!

although there are many doubters ("any color works, it's just controlling heat loss at night")

I've had the typical blue one (it was even "space age" with silvered diamond shaped bubbles on one side) and this is my second clear cover...I'll never use anything but clear from now on.

The blue heated the first 6 inches of water well, but not much more than that...lots of hot/cold pockets of water for a while...the clear heats much more throughly and to greater depths...

It works wonderfully for me, and they are comparable in cost to any other color.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I got the Black Blue Solar Cover from Doheny's Water Wharehouse Doheny's. From my homework, Doheny's appears to be one of the cheapest Co.'s out there for most pool supplies.

Pro's that I will attest to:
    -Increases water Temperature
    -Maintains water Temperature, i.e. Overnight temperature drop is not significant
    -Decreases rate of evaporation tremendously
    -Chemicals seem to last longer

Cons:
    -Cost
    -Uneven Heating. 1st foot or so gets extremely hot, after that it is fairly cold. As noted in a previous post in this thread it results in warm & cold spots in the pool which ultimately leads to; "I couldn't control myself" comments.

I'm not sure if these results from other solar covers, but I would say it is probably one of the best investments I made in my pool.

Just be sure to check the thickness (mil) in addition to the price. I went with the 15 figuring I would probably rip the 12.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

7. Back To Top    #7
    I ordered from here
    http://www.solarcovers.com/clear-solar-covers.asp
    I think they are called Leisure Living. Free shipping. I wanted to order the one Mathey has but I couldn't find the link. He has had good results with his. This is my first Solar Cover. One thing for sure, I thought I would be able to put it on/off and fold it up by hand and boy was I wrong especially for a 20x40 pool. I ordered a reel after my first attempt to use it. The good news is now we all have another cover to compare.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

8. Back To Top    #8

One more con. Rolling and unrolling and storing every day, which is why a lot of people don't use them.