Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool prep for surrounding concrete work

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool prep for surrounding concrete work

The prevous owner of our house put a extremely slick "non-slick" coating on the concrete that he painted on before we moved in. It has been coming up like a snow storm every time I hose off the concrete. We are going to have a textured concrete design epoxy put down (the product is called Stardek II). The prep is going to require a power wash, grinding and acid wash to get off the previous multiple coats of "stuff" Had a few quotes and everyone has said no mater how well we cover the pool some concrete dust and old paint will get into the pool. Total time start to finish will be 5 days. So before they start I was thinking I would bring the up the chlorine a bit higher or close to shock level and leave the pump off or possibly on recirculate. Then when they are done vacume the **** to waste and filter till clear. The water is getting cold and days are shorter so I only lose about 0.5 ppm cl a day. Any better ideas.

FC 6
    CC 0
    pH 7.4
    TA 100
    CYA 45
    CH don't check it's vinyl

68 F
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool prep for surrounding concrete work

Bringing the FC up to shock level and leaving the pump off would probably be OK; you could add a little bit of chlorine manually and brush to mix it up if the level starts to get low. Do you have anything that you could use to cover the pool (solar cover, large tarp, etc)? That would probably be the best thing.

By the way, I know you didn't ask, but you should test the CH of your water anyway, just to be sure it isn't high. Scaling from high CH can happen in a vinyl pool too.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool prep for surrounding concrete work

they are going to cover the pool with plastic, and I do check the calcium but it's been a couple months. The fill water has a very low calcium content. I used to have to add calcium till I found this site.
    14.5 K inground vinyl
    1hp pump
    sand filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Aquarite SWG
    P'cola FL