Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar-powered pool/spa heater (with cells)

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar-powered pool/spa heater (with cells)

I always see solar pool heaters as the ones where the water runs across the black tubing and whathaveyou. But are there any that can run a heater using cells and just using an electric heater?

Or would it take way too many cells to get that kind of power to run a heater?
    10,000 Gallon Inground Fiberglass Pool
    Cartridge Filter
    Zodiac Duo Clear SWG
    3/4 HP Hayward Pump
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Solar-powered pool/spa heater (with cells)

It would take an enormous number of photovoltiac cells to generate enough power to produce even close to the heat that a normal solar pool heater generates. And the cost would be a double order of magnitude over what a solar heater costs. In fact you can almost buy and entire solar heater for the cost of one decent sized cell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar-powered pool/spa heater (with cells)

I'm guessing you mean photovoltaic panels? If so, yes, it would take far too many of them to run a heater.

Rough numbers:
    I'm not sure how much energy each panel puts out, but I'm pretty sure it's <100 watts; lets say it's 100W.'s where it gets fun. A 400,000 btu/hr gas heater = 117,228 watts = 1172 panels to get the same amount of energy.

A heat pump would be much less, but still would require far too many panels to be practical.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden