Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mesh safety cover - Quick question

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesh safety cover - Quick question

So I installed a mesh safety cover this fall. I am in Northern NJ and we do get some pretty cold winters. I lowered my water level to just below the 2 returns. Since I have closed we have had about 4 inches of rain. I just popped corner of cover off and the water is above the returns. So my question I need to keep the water level down below the returns all winter? I have read of the ice ripping the returns right out of the wall. The pool is fiberglass so I am hesitant to drain anymore water than absolutely necessary. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
    Northern NJ, 14x32 inground fiberglass pool, 14,000 gallons, 1 1/2hp Hayward pump, Hayward c1200 cartridge filter, Pentair IC20 SWG , solar heat, mesh safety cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    Covington, Georgia

Re: Mesh safety cover - Quick question

Someone who has knowledge about this will be along shortly to answer your question.
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Central NJ

I have the question below. Everywhere I read indicates that you should keep the water off of waterline tile or risk tile cracking over the winter. If you are using a product like a Loop Loc should you continuously monitor water levels and, if so, what are people using to drain water out?
    10K IG fiberglass pool, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, 1.5HP Hayward superpump, Heat Pump Heater

4. Back To Top    #4
    Jamestown, ND

I have a mesh cover and when I close the pool, I plug the returns and then I just installed an aquador as another safety feature. The leave the pool water level at 15 inches from the top. If you get a HUGE amount of rain before it turns to snow, then I drop in a pump to drain down the water. You can find them at walmart, lowes, menards, etc...
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: