Help! Can't clear up my pool!

I live in Phx Arizona and went back to Minnesota in August for about 2 weeks. The person watching my house was supposed to be watching the chlorine levels, and didn't. We know what a green pool looks like, and this thing was green. I had just drained it on Easter weekend, since it had been 5 years since I removed the plaster and pebble-tec'd the pool. Wanted to freshen up the water. Pool had looked sparkling clear prior to the vacation. I couldn't clear this thing up for the life of me, so I drained it again, cleaned it and re-filled it, no small task. It was clear for about 24 hours then started getting hazy again, it wasn't green at first, but is slightly green again. I had started the pool back up 5 years ago after the remodel with Zeobest and haven't had any problems, but the pool store told me that you should change that out every 5 years or so. I'm thinking it's the Zeobest, it had lost it's filtering capacity... pool drained twice and refilled, got it. Went out and bought new Zeobest media, scooped out the old, checked the laterals, they were in great shape, cleaned out the filter pod and started over. Filled 1/2 full with water and added the Zeobest. Backwashed as recommended to start and this was going to change everything, wrong! I can't get the particulates out of this pool and clear this thing up for the life of me. I used to take care of 8 pools for a hotel years ago, I know pools, balancing water, etc. I took the filter apart again to make sure I didn't forget to put something back together. I am at a loss, thinking of tearing this Purex Tagelus 60 out and replacing, it is the only thing I can think of causing this, it isn't filtering right, right? Pump is giving great flow in the pool and for the vacuum. I have used the algecide to clear it up, I have tried water clarifier, shock, liquid chlorine, no avail. Anybody give me a hint of an idea what it may be?? Thank you...

Welcome to TFP!

We need to start with a set of your test results in order to begin helping you out. Please post FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA and what you are using to obtain these test results (what kind of kit). This could very well be a filtering issue but we need to know everything about the pool including the chemistry in order to get started.

Add Calcium Hardness to Carlos' request too.
That'll be:
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Also give us a list of what and in what amounts you've added to the pool since the last fill.

Living in AZ your CH may be high enough to be an issue.

Danderson, you know you could go spend the money on the filter, but I really, really think you got an algae issue. The quick clouding that you refer to lead me to believe that. How are checking your chlorine and combined chlorine levels right now? If it turns out to just be an algae issue you will be saving some money. Bleach is cheap.

+1 for benavidescj's comment. Cloudy water = algae >99% of the time. I strongly recommend you get a good test kit and post your results here. How do you typically chlorinate the pool?

It sounds like you've already spent a bunch of money on this, so I can understand you're frustrated. I really think this can be conquered without replacing any equipment, finding our your CYA (stabilizer) level, and shocking accordingly. If you browse through Pool School (link in my sig or upper right of the page), everything is explained in much more detail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.