Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Summer is Coming

1. Back To Top    #1

Summer is Coming

Pool has had minimum attention over winter but summer is coming and I've had my first couple of swims.
    From now on it becomes increasingly important to maintain chemical balance to avoid runaway algae, staining etc.
    We recently had serious rain which seriously overflowed the pool so I tossed in a couple of bags of replacement salt.

I've just done my first serious test for the season with the following results:

Temp = 23 Celsius
    pH = 7.4
    FC = 5
    TC = 5
    TA = 50
    CH = 120
    CYA = 35

Any comments/feedback on the above appreciated.

Cheers,
    48,000 litre outdoor in-ground pebble/plaster pool; EAQUIP self-cleaning saltwater chlorinator and controller; Waterco S-800 Sand Filter (420 litres per minute capacity); Aquanaut Pool-Vac cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Summer is Coming

Only thing that I would suggest is for you to raise the CYA to somewhere between 60 and 80 ppm. We recommend higher CYA levels with SWCG pools because they don't have to work so hard to keep the FC up.

3. Back To Top    #3

CH also seems quite low for a plaster pool.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a 'non-pool-shop' way to raise the CYA and CH? I find that they are so focused on selling branded products that I have no confidence in their recommendations. I don't mind buying stuff from them (I'm keen to support local businesses) but I prefer to buy only what I need, and to know what I am buying.

Cheers,
    48,000 litre outdoor in-ground pebble/plaster pool; EAQUIP self-cleaning saltwater chlorinator and controller; Waterco S-800 Sand Filter (420 litres per minute capacity); Aquanaut Pool-Vac cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

In this case there is no substitute for CYA/stabilizer. The powdered CYA will take up to a week to register on a CYA test and the best way to add it is to put it into a sock and hang it in front of a return. Calcium is usually labled as hardness increaser. There are some other sources of calcium but in this case it is easier to get it from a pool store.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    In this case there is no substitute for CYA/stabilizer. The powdered CYA will take up to a week to register on a CYA test and the best way to add it is to put it into a sock and hang it in front of a return. Calcium is usually labled as hardness increaser. There are some other sources of calcium but in this case it is easier to get it from a pool store.
    Zea is correct, but if you are a crazy, motivated person as I am, it is possible to hang that sock full of CYA in front of a return and then visit it often, giving it some squishy massages to encourage it along. When I'm in a rush, I simply kneed away at it a little at a time and then get out my pool brush and hand skimming net/pole to move the water around to get it distributed before it goes straight for a skimmer or the deep end "drain" to get temporarily clogged up in my filter.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

7. Back To Top    #7

As noted in Recommended Pool Chemicals in the Pool School, you can find calcium chloride in de-icers, but if you are in an area that doesn't freeze in the winter, then you may have trouble finding such products.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Calcuim is also sold around here in farm supply stores. I don't know if you have any of those close but it'd be worth a try.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit