Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to connect power cord to new 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How to connect power cord to new 2 speed pump

I need help from those who know how to connect the power cord to a 2 speed pump. The power cord I have has a female quick connect on the hot and neutral wires, and a ring connector on the ground wire. I cannot figure out how to connect it to the new two speed pump since the layout is different from my old single speed pump. I have included pictures.

Connections on the old pump (power cord removed)

Old pump with power cord attached

wiring on old pump single speed switch

Connections on the new pump

wiring on the new 2 speed pump switch

I noticed looking at the old pump that there are some double male connectors that my new pump does not have. Does anyone know where I can find instructions to connect the power cord or can tell me how to do it correctly?

Thanks!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to connect power cord to new 2 speed pump

Looks pretty straight-forward. Black goes to empty middle blade on switch. White goes to empty (top) #2 blade on right side above the yellow wire. Ground goes to green screw at 2 o'clock from shaft end. I assume pump voltage and supply voltage match.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea! It works! Thanks, Durk! Its lovely and quiet on low speed. Only thing is that on low the pressure gauge shows 0 on high speed it shows 10, which was normal on my old 1 speed pump. I assume its still o.k.?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's ok - very close to zero on low speed is what I see also.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)