How long to run pool pump in the winter?

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hi everyone. This is the first winter that we have to maintain the pool ourselves. I am practicing BBB so the pool water is very clear. I keep the FC level at a minimum of 7. In the summer, we run the pool pump for 7 hours daily. Last winter, we reduced its run time to 5 hours daily as we were instructed to do so. Is that too long or not long enough to keep the pool clear in the winter? The water temperature as of yesterday was 64 degrees. Thanks for your help.

chem geek said:
I cut back to about half a turnover per day when the water gets colder (< 60ºF).

That's what I do as well. When it gets below about 50, the SWG shuts off so sometimes I'll go down to a 1/4 turn or even shut off the pump for a few days until it warms up some. I also tend to let the FC drop with the run time so even with a CYA of 80 ppm, a FC of 1-2 ppm seems to be enough with the water that cold. It seems that algae doesn't grow or at least grows very slowly below 60 degrees.

mas985 said:
I also tend to let the FC drop with the run time so even with a CYA of 80 ppm, a FC of 1-2 ppm seems to be enough with the water that cold. It seems that algae doesn't grow or at least grows very slowly below 60 degrees.

Wow, with your CYA at 80, you only have to maintain FC at 1-2 ppm? Maybe I can lower mine to less than 7 when the water gets below 60 degrees. I am afraid to keep the FC at lower than the minimum Mustard Algae level since I don't want to get Mustard Algae again. Maybe I should start testing FC daily again to get an idea how much bleach the pool uses in the winter.

If I did my math right, each turnover takes about 3 hours. Based on your opinion, I can turn it down to 3 hours or less when the water is less than 60 degrees. That is good news. Saves unnecessary energy.

I have never had algae let alone mustard algae so you may need to keep your FC higher then me but one thing to be aware of is that chlorine extinction due to both UV and water temps tends to decrease quite a bit during the winter so you don'r need to add as much chlorine to get to the same residual as the summer.

I have another question. I found out this morning that he pool filter was gushing out water from both side so I turned it off. I made an appointment for a pool repair service for next Monday because it is going to rain starting tomorrow until Sunday. Is it ok to leave the pump off until Monday? When I tested FC this morning, it was at 9ppm. I will try to maintain the FC at a minimum of 7 although I don't know if it is possible since it is going to rain. Thanks.

I just ended 4 weeks without a pump. You can add your chlorine manually by pouring it around the perimeter of the pool and then mix it in by brushing the walls and floor. It takes a little time and muscle but it will prevent the pool from going green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.