Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When should a DE Cartridge filter be replaced?

1. Back To Top    #1

When should a DE Cartridge filter be replaced?

Is there any signs (besides visual tears) or lifetime expectancy to determine when to replace the cartridge filters for a DE filter?

My filter is a Pentair Quad DE 80 Filter.

Thanks!
    Torben

22,500 gallons IG gunite free form w/ spa, Tropical Breeze Pebbletec, Intelliflo Variable Speed, 2hp Whisperflo for waterfall feature, Intellitouch, Quad DE 80 Filter, Mastertemp heater, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When should a DE Cartridge filter be replaced?

Tears or holes are the number one reason to replace them but when the cartridges have a higher than normal psi rise after a chemical cleaning means that the pores are permanently clogged and replacement should be considered.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I just closed my pool and when I opened up my DE filter I was surprised to find lots of DE still inside. I had not taken the filter apart for 4 years, but I am glad I did this year. I did not see any tears, but I noticed a dark tan color to the previously white colored mesh. Is this something I should be concerned about? I too am wondering if I need to replace the guts of my Pentair FNS 60.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gal. DE In-ground 16x34 Gunite (2005) Jandy Saltwater Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

A nice long soak in TSP or cheap powdered dishwasher detergent is needed there.

Scptt
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

I should add that the Quad's filter elements/cartridges get the same soaking treatment.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to get a large plastic trashcan to soak the filter in. Should I dilute the TSP or dishwashing detergent with water?
    20,000 gal. DE In-ground 16x34 Gunite (2005) Jandy Saltwater Generator

7. Back To Top    #7

It's hard to soak it in TSP or powdered dishwasher detergent without water.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

8. Back To Top    #8

soak away! those things should last a long time. My folk's is 20yrs old and working fine. Chemcially cleaned only a couple times.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side