Going Crazy, Green Pool!

Jul 22, 2010
NW Florida
I am not sure what to do....nothing seems to be working. Took a sample of water to local Leslie' (and picked up a DPD Kit while there). This is what we did:

Test Results before attacking the Algae:
FAC 0
TAC 0
pH 7.8
TA 60
CH 160
CYA 30

Copper 0
Iron 0
Total dissolved solids 400
Phosphates 100

Then we did this: Added 4lbs 4 oz Alkalinity Up, wait 4 hours, added 5 oz. soda ash wait 4 hours, then added Clean to Green from Leslie's, waited 5 minutes, added shock, waited 12 hours, added shock, waited 12 hours, added third and final shock. Then next day vacuumed pool and backwash and rinsed filter...........still a "green monster."

Readings today (10/23):
FC 0
TC 0
pH 7.2
TA 60-65
CH 280
CYA < 100

Help!!! What should we do now?

FC WAS ZERO....and after all that........its' still zero. How did you go from a "known" CYA of 30 to something of "<100"? You need a solid CYA number to see how much BLEACH it will take........at ONE BIG TIME to initially defeat the algae (shock value) and then maintain that level as discussed in pool school. Never turn the pump off in the process. See the cya chlorine chart and shocking your pool in pool school. Probably gonna take 3 or 4 gallons of bleach---to start with....and then more to maintain till you're done.

The best thing you can do for your pool is to invest in a high quality FAS/DPD test kit. You can get the TF100 or the Taylor K2006, either of them will serve you well. Once you are able to test the water yourself you will have results you can depend on to balance your water properly.

In order to clean up your current algae problem you will need to complete the shock process until you pass the overnight fc loss test. Do not buy anymore packages of "shock". They contain either CYA or calcium, neither of which you need any more of in your pool. Only use liquid chlorine or bleach to complete the shock process.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to have a high quality FAS/DPD test kit. This kit is essential for testing levels of chlorine high enough to complete the shock process. The testing supplies will last 1-2 complete pool seasons.

Step 1. Stop going to Leslies
Step 2. Stop going to Leslies
Step 3. Get a FAS-DPD Kit (TF-100 or Taylor K2006)
Step 4. Figure out how many gallons you have in your pool.
Step 5. Use this http://thepoolcalculator.com and shock with liquid chlorine until you have no overnight FC loss.
Step 6. Did I mention to stop going to Leslies?
Step 7. Once done shocking, balance you water chemistry.

And :whip: that pool into shape!

I've not used the DPD test, but I believe it allows you to measure your FC level up to 5 ppm via color matching.

The FAS-DPD test allows you to measure FC much higher, up to 50 ppm (I think), using a titration (you add the powder to the water sample to turn it pink and then add drops until it turns clear: FC = the number of drops multiplied by either .2 of .5 depending upon the size of the water sample.) The two advantages are there is no guessing what shade the color is and it allows you to accurately measure the FC at shock levels (which is FC= 12 ppm for CYA = 30ppm).

Taylor Technologies makes the K-1515 test kit which is a stand alone FAS test and is a good bit cheaper that replacing your whole kit (unless you can return it). I think the K-1515 is available at http://www.tftestkits.net (their site isn't working for me this morning) or direct from Taylor Technologies.

Zea3 and Salp gave you some good links to read. There are more at the Pool School link which is found at the top right corner each page.

Re: Going Crazy, Green Pool (Update-MilkyBlue)

Yes, thanks. I stopped going to Leslie's......bought 2 big giant bottles of 6% bleach to keep on hand. I got the Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit (Leslie's did not have the FAS kit--my last trip there, lol). Like you said, it just gives the color coding, not an exact number. I will order the FAS-DPD chlorine kit you mentioned to get an accurate reading of the chlorine. I know the chlorine level is off the charts!!!

The water is now a milky blue...so we are getting somewhere......

My current numbers:

Chlorine ---Way high for sure, the test kit shade shows to the darkest color.
pH 7.5
TA 360
CH 280
CYA 102

I plugged in my numbers on the pool calculator, and it says Add 35 oz of baking soda and add 3 oz. of stabilizer.

Don't worry about TA just yet, high chlorine might be corrupting your testing. You can purchase the reagents FAS separately.

R0870
R0871

Are you still running your pump 24/7, brushing and cleaning filter when needed?

DO NOT ADD MORE STABILIZER (cya)

Yes to all. My husband has been vacuuming and doing just like you said. The pump has been running 24/7 for a week now. I just ordered the FAS kit to get an accurate chlorine read. Once I get the FAS kit, do I do the chlorine loss test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Going Crazy, Green Pool (Update-MilkyBlue)

JillJ2010 said:
Yes, thanks. I stopped going to Leslie's......bought 2 big giant bottles of 6% bleach to keep on hand. I got the Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit (Leslie's did not have the FAS kit--my last trip there, lol). Like you said, it just gives the color coding, not an exact number. I will order the FAS-DPD chlorine kit you mentioned to get an accurate reading of the chlorine. I know the chlorine level is off the charts!!!

The water is now a milky blue...so we are getting somewhere......

My current numbers:

Chlorine ---Way high for sure, the test kit shade shows to the darkest color.
pH 7.5
TA 360
CH 280
CYA 102

I plugged in my numbers on the pool calculator, and it says Add 35 oz of baking soda and add 3 oz. of stabilizer.

CYA of 100 means it's too high. This was from your new kit, a test you performed yourself? Don't add any stabilizer or baking soda. You want CYA between 30-50 if you have no SWG or 60-80 if you do. I suggest a partial drain/refill to get that number down. Were you using tablets before to chlorinate daily?

On the TA test - I'm not seeing from the posts how that number got so high. If the chlorine is high the colors would be off but that wouldn't necessarily affect the results. Once you are done shocking, we can help you tackle at the TA results further, for now though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Kits came in and now I have the numbers. The water is looking much better! Still a little cloudy. I will get the remaining leaves out, backwash, then waste out a portion of the water and fill with fresh to bring my CYA down, and of course last but not least add the Bleach. Pump running 24/7. After all is looking good, time to put the winter cover on.

Here are my current numbers:
FC 10
CC 0.5
TC 10.5
CYA 90
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 250

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.