Pentair C40 chlorinator issue

Aug 17, 2009
Test readings-
Chlorine- 8.5 (at 35%- usually sits at 5.0 at 40%)
Ph- 7.4
TA- 90
Calcium- 500
Salt- 3400
CYA- 40 ( I know a little low) When I tested 2 months ago it was 90, BUT up until the past week or two it was very sunny)

Chlorinator is 6 months old

Is my chlorinator acting up or is it a CYA issue OR is it due to lack of sun the chlorine is building up and I can really reduce the percentage?

comments?

Hi there,
Sounds like you should turn it down a bit. So you have an IC40. How many gallons of water do you have? If your IC40 is oversized, it could be producing too much chlorine needed for your size of pool but at least you lower your chance of algae. I would turn your cell down a bit though. 8.5 is pretty high. Also, in between 30-50 of your cya is okay during winter as long as everything else is working fine!

Unless you had a massive amount of water change (over half the water in the pool), the CYA couldn't have moved that much in value.

As we approach winter the Sun's intensity drops, hence chlorine demand also goes down. And if the water temp is dropping that will also slow down chlorine use.

In my 16K gallon pool I was running an IC-40 at 20% for 10 hours a day. I have cut back to 20% for 8 hours a day and may have to drop it again. Of course this is with a solar cover on now as well as solar panels running so the temp difference is not a player in my case - just the Sun intensity.

...and depending where you live, the unit may stop working all together as the temps drop even more. This is normal, however, the unit may give you errors pointing you in the direction that there is not enough salt. I would just ignore this, set the unit to 0%, and add Cl manually till spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.