Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quality Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Quality Chemicals

I was wondering if one brand of chemicals are better than another. I've never gone anywhere but Leslies for pool supplies so I've never tried anything else, i.e. ordering over the Internet or going to The Great Escape, for example. Are there any brands that are low-quality that I should stay away from? How would I know? I've seen places cheaper than Leslies but I'm hesitant to try them. Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2
    North Richland Hills, TX
    IMHO they are like vitamins or generic prescriptions. If the ingredients are the same, who cares what name is on the label?
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD
    The ingredients list is more important than the brand. If you find a chemical that has the correct ingredients then it doesn't really mater who is selling it. The thing to watch out for is companies that add things which shouldn't be there, like HTH putting copper in their "Dual Action" trichlor tablets.

For most pool chemicals there is only one, or sometimes two, major supplier(s) of the raw chemical. The various distributors simply put it in a box or bottle and ship it out to the stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The very best thing to do is to hang out here and really learn and understand the chemistry. It's really not hard, though at first it seems daunting. Always know what it is you are putting in your pool.

The great thing about the BBB method is you absolutely know what you are putting in your pool and it is simple ingredients.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.