Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cold Water Effect Shock Value?

1. Back To Top    #1
    East Texas

Cold Water Effect Shock Value?

I certainly understand that when we're all in our happy summer mode pool zone and the weather is warm, that the relationship between CYA level and shock level is a given.

But when the water temps drop from 92ish down to 70---------60----------50 or lower, does that relationship still hold?
    Does a given CYA level require the same shock levels regardless of temperature of the water? I know just the normal daily CL usage drops significantly.

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Cold Water Effect Shock Value?

Hopefully you won't have to shock your pool when it gets cold because you won't be getting any algae, but if for some reason you do need to then yes the same chart and relationships are used. It will be slower to clear a pool of algae when it's cold because all chemical reactions slow down -- both algae growth rates and chlorine kill/oxidation rates.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"