Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing bromine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing bromine?

I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I just filled my hot tub a few days ago, can I test for Bromine like I would chlorine? Use dpd powder and reagents? I realize it would be easier to just use chlorine but I would really like to use up the bromine(sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione 82.5% sodium bromide 14.7%).

How often do I need to test the water? I use it a few times a week and my wife even less.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing bromine?

[EDIT] Corrected ppm total bromine per drop for sample sizes; I had it reversed in my first draft of this post. [END-EDIT]

You can use the FAS-DPD chlorine test and just realize that when you are testing Free Chlorine (FC) in that test that you are really testing Total Bromine if you multiply your result by 2.25. So if you use a 25 ml sample, then every drop of titrant represents 0.45 ppm total bromine while if you use a 10 ml sample then every drop of titrant represents 1.125 ppm total bromine. You don't bother with the R-0003 for the CC test since it won't measure anything relevant -- the FC test measures both bromine and bromamine together (unlike chloramine that doesn't register in the FC test, but does in the CC test).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard, very concise and informative answer...but you switched the sample sizes! :P Each drop of titrant in a 10 mL sample represents 1.125 ppm bromine, and each drop in a 25 mL sample is 0.45 ppm

.....right?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can purchase r-0872 reagent as well to test for Bromine? Not sure if that makes the sample/drop counting process more simple.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Richard, very concise and informative answer...but you switched the sample sizes! :P Each drop of titrant in a 10 mL sample represents 1.125 ppm bromine, and each drop in a 25 mL sample is 0.45 ppm :goodjob:

.....right?
    Yes, I got it backwards and I've edited my post. Thanks for catching that.

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can purchase r-0872 reagent as well to test for Bromine? Not sure if that makes the sample/drop counting process more simple.
    Yes, you are correct and they do slightly adjust the concentration in the reagent so that one drop is 0.5 ppm with a 25 ml sample and 1.25 ppm for a 10 ml sample.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for your reply,good to know. Two more questions,which is a easier and safe sanitizer Chlorine or bromine? Also can you put salt in your hot tub like you do a pool?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Some people prefer one over the other. Technically, chlorine is safer in the sense that the disinfection by-products it produces are generally less harmful than those formed from bromine (in particular the trihalomethanes). However, bromine is seen by some to be more convenient since you can have a floating bromine tab feeder maintaining bromine levels if you don't use the tub regularly. With chlorine, you'll have to add chlorine every day or two even if you don't use the tub. If you use it regularly (almost every day), then it's not a big deal to just add chlorine when you get out of the tub. See the following links for more info on how to use bromine and chlorine:

Using Bromine in a Spa
    Using Chlorine in a Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    You don't bother with the R-0003 for the CC test since it won't measure anything relevant -- the FC test measures both bromine and bromamine together (unlike chloramine that doesn't register in the FC test, but does in the CC test).
    This is a change from what you wrote here in March, "add the R-0003 reagent before you add the FAS-DPD titrating drops." Please confirm one way or the other... thanks! (I've been cruising for bromine info lately or I probably wouldn't have noticed this difference.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

I was wrong before when I thought that you needed the R-0003 to measure bromamine. It turns out that bromamine is a strong enough oxidizer to react with the dye in the FC test. The chemistry behind this (as described in this link) is thought to be that at pool pH monobromamine (NH2Br) readily forms a more active monobromammonium ion (NH3Br+) whereas monochloramine (NH2Cl) does not. At pH 7.5, about 10% is in the form of this monobromammonium ion. This ion is more reactive, possibly by more readily converting to ammonia and positively charged bromine atom (Br+) when reacting with other organic chemicals. I've now edited that older post. Thanks for catching that.